Default Maine Passage - Day 5

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

Another problem he seems to have is that when he tightens up the
shrouds it deforms the boat. the usual cure for that is a tie rod
between the mast step and the underside of the deck.

I was trying to be gentle. If he's deforming his boat at the PROPER
shroud tension, he's sailing a POS which shouldn't be in commission. If
he's deforming a well made boat, then he's not at the proper tension.

I didn't want to say it so out and out but there, I have.

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 18:37:04 -0600, Paul Cassel
wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

Another problem he seems to have is that when he tightens up the
shrouds it deforms the boat. the usual cure for that is a tie rod
between the mast step and the underside of the deck.

I was trying to be gentle. If he's deforming his boat at the PROPER
shroud tension, he's sailing a POS which shouldn't be in commission. If
he's deforming a well made boat, then he's not at the proper tension.

I didn't want to say it so out and out but there, I have.

I have a deck stepped mast but from what I read all keel stepped masts
will deform when the shrouds are tensioned. The usual fix if a "tie
rod" which is bolted to the deck and the mast step to prevent the deck
from flexing upward. Apparently this is a normal trait of keel stepped
boats

Bruce-in-Bangkok
Bob Bob is offline

On Aug 3, 4:47*am, wrote:
[This message forwarded from their sailmail status report.]

Day 5 - Maine Passage

Today's "crisis of the day" developed just after the last report
was sent.
*Ever since, the mast has moved tremendously in
its collar, forcing the foam rubber shock absorber, located
between an aluminum collar on the deck, and the mast, up. *It's
what occasioned the failure (which wasn't really - we
accidentally cut it in the previous resolution of the collar
walking up the mast) of the last mast boot, requiring this new
one.

Planets aligning.........................

I'd been meaning to adjust the rigging to tighten it back up,
but something always got in the way of it, as the collar had
been put back down when we redid the mast boot. *Out of sight,
out of mind... *Anyway, ..

Ignoring root cause of a problem. humm I wonder why its loose? ANd
what is "loose?"

*So much so that it
changed the shape of the hull, pulling the sides together
slightly, trapping one of the sole pulls, needed to get at where

Huh ! what the ****?!? your boat sure is a flimsy peice of ****
or..........

Lydia stows her spare beer, such that it was a real challenge to
get it up! *I'll attend to that, along with redoing some of the
mast boot which came loose in all the pushing and shoving of the
collar under it, later today.

More planets droping in place just like the pins of lock.

I went down for my usual short nap at 10, and Lydia woke me at
1:30, with the same complaint - unable to stay awake and
focused. *

Poor baby maybe daddy can fix it

So Skip is sailing SINGLE HANDED! When the **** hits the fan Lydia
will fold and go hide in the bunk "incopacitated" or maybe sprain her
ankle

She also told me of the new crisis of the day, which
is that our radar apparently doesn't like anything other than
fully packed batteries. *

Charging problem, resistance in corroded crimped wire ends.butt
splices and genneral OLD ****ty circuits. Ya know boats that old had
NON TINNED COPPER conductors now add salewater from a sunk boat!
Eeeks!

Our batteries, as those who were with
us on the first leg of our journey last year at this time will
recall, had had some abuse as a product of a failed/failing
charger and some alternator problems, early in their lives. *So,
being about 3 years old, which is normally pretty young, they
probably aren't in the best of shape,

Simple solution to stare at the batteries and blame
them..................

*However, as yet another confirmation of the general
state of the industry, when I paid for the full installation of
the new radar to go with our chartplotter given to us by another
of our saints as he upgraded, they didn't install new power
wiring or a new circuit breaker. Thus, it's being powered by
20-year old gear, the same as was present in the much less
powerful predecessor.

Now youre on to it SKip. Good call ya dumn ****!

Lets review:
Rigging problmes
Unknown electriacal problems
Hull deforming
60+ year old novice recreational sailor
A physical, emotional, cognitve libility named Lydia.

Bob

Skip, Lydia, and Portia, the sea cat

Bob wrote in news:487588fb-f473-4dfb-afb1-1dc962211351
@b30g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Now youre on to it SKip. Good call ya dumn ****!

Hey, stupid. He's at SEA and can't see newsgroups....

Bob Bob is offline

On Aug 3, 7:59*pm, Larry wrote:
Bob wrote in news:487588fb-f473-4dfb-afb1-1dc962211351
@b30g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Now youre on to it SKip. Good call ya dumn ****!

Hey, stupid. *He's at SEA and can't see newsgroups....

Hey stupid
Its for the benifit of his survivors and those here. Like DUH.......
as if ... like fur sure
Bob

wrote

Oh, that. I never use it, as a rule.

As a rule, I would never admit something like that in a public Internet
forum.

--
Roger Long

Bob Bob is offline

:

Now youre on to it SKip. Good call ya dumn ****!

Hey, stupid. *He's at SEA and can't see newsgroups....

Hey, stupid, What gets posted here, gets responded to here. This is Usenet, and
that's how it works. And any claims that Skip can't read newsgroups due to
bandwidth are bull****, based on the epic length of the constant posts HE sends.
One of his posts takes as much bandwidth as 50 normal posts.

Good morning,

I agree completley. While my posts are rude and laced with great
contempt the reality is SKip is providing a wonderful and rich
naritive of a novice voyager. 10,000s of people will be able to read
of his experiences, debrief and debate but most importatnly LEARN from
his mistakes. truely he is the Lewis and Clark of Sailing Magazine!

I plan to use his posts as a series of Case Studies for an advanced
cruising/voyage planing course I am developing. Lets face it ya just
cant make this stuff up! its absolutly rich ! ! ! and "fair use."

Sincerly anticipating,
Bob

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 17:08:00 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Tension on keel stepped masts is a bit more complex and critical.

Especially since you mispelled compression.

Casady

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 10:30:51 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 14:29:09 GMT,
(Richard

wrote:

Tension on keel stepped masts is a bit more complex and critical.

Especially since you mispelled compression.

Isn't it spelled misspelled?

Wilbur Hubbard