Default Maine Passage - Day 5

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 17:26:36 -0600, Paul Cassel
wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

I have a deck stepped mast but from what I read all keel stepped masts
will deform when the shrouds are tensioned. The usual fix if a "tie
rod" which is bolted to the deck and the mast step to prevent the deck
from flexing upward. Apparently this is a normal trait of keel stepped
boats

I disagree that the boat should flex enough that he can't get the sole
hatches open w/o a struggle. Any reasonable boat design needs to
consider the rig being in proper tension.

I understand the tie rod you mention and would think that an issue on a
boat like an O'Day but on a seagoing vessel?

So here you are in the Morgan showroom taking delivery of your new
Morgan XXX. The salesman tells you if you actually sail the thing, you
can either buy a tie rod because the boat is improperly designed or you
can forget opening any hatches below because the boat is improperly
designed.

Seems perfectly incredible to me - either scenario.

First of all, you appear to be combining several posts into one.
Specifically mine about tie rods and someone else about hatches.

You can imagine anything you wish, however, the Pardy's wrote about
the installation of a tie rod in their second boat and while I hate to
quote them as an authority about anything they have probably sailed
more miles then most. I have also seen tie rods installed in keel
stepped boat of all sizes, shapes and material so I assume that there
is a reason, just as there is a reason for some boats having tie rods
connecting the chain plates, to the keel (again in a keel stepped
boat).

Bruce-in-Bangkok

My Pearson 365 ketch was built with the tie rod setup.
Also, it doesn't need to be a rod, rigging wire would work as well.
Gordon
Bob Bob is offline

On Aug 4, 8:23*am, "Capt. JG" wrote:

Heh... if you live in a glass house, don't throw stones... I think that's
what salty is trying to say.

"j" ganz - Hide quoted text -

Close............... those in glass houses shouldnt get stoned.
Rasta
praise JAH
Bob
Bob Bob is offline

On Aug 4, 11:01*am, (Richard Casady)
wrote:

It's spelled "Rigging wire tension".

Casady

FOr those who are familure with PNW resource based economy its was
called a, "riggin fit."
bob

I bet your neighbors in New Jersey just love you. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On 2008-08-03 19:44:26 -0400, Rick Morel said:

There is a tuning tool available, but it's just a sort of spring
loaded thing with a ruler. A human thumb and ruler is a lot cheaper
and works just as well.

It's a Loos gauge.

I don't sail without one, as perceptions of tension will change through
the season. If nothing else, later in the season, our idea of
"moderate" winds goes up, so the stays flop more.

Having an actual number to compare makes things more certain. I check
our tension periodically, which helped me detect a bulkhead rotting
away in a hidden corner in time to prevent serious damage. The mast
dropping about 3/16ths of an inch made a real difference.

--
Jere Lull

On 2008-08-03 17:08:00 -0400, "Roger Long" said:

There are some excellent riggers at Portland Yacht Services where he will
land here. They have set up some round the world racers. I'll be
interested to see what they have to say.

I'd love to know their opinion.

--
Jere Lull