Roger Long Roger Long is offline

Default Maine Passage - Day 5

"Capt. JG" wrote

the quick and dirty approach to tuning was explained to me as taking up
the slack on the lee shrouds and that's about it. Then tacking and doing
the same thing, and then doing both tacks all over again.

I know of one boat that was wrecked that way so it needs to be done with
care. Better to look critically at the mast and understand what subtle
curvature means in terms of its column stability.

Deck stepped masts are different. My lee rigging (deck stepped) is quite
slack when the boat is heeled well over but it's all rotating around the
deck step so tension is not too significant unless the flopping is excessive
and risks something like pulling the uppers out of the spreader sockets. My
aft lowers are loosest because I keep more tension on the forward ones to
induce some mast bend and draft reduction. Also, if the boom should get
away and come up hard against the shrouds, there will be less strain. I
look for the mast to just be in a straight line when rail down and no
noticable movement at other times.

Tension on keel stepped masts is a bit more complex and critical. The whole
point of a keel stepped mast is to have some support at the partners so I
question Skip's report of a foam collar. There are some very hard foams
used for this purpose but something other than wedges he put in by himself
sounds too soft.

There are some excellent riggers at Portland Yacht Services where he will
land here. They have set up some round the world racers. I'll be
interested to see what they have to say.

--
Roger Long