Bruce in Bangkok[_7_] Bruce in Bangkok[_7_] is offline

Default Maine Passage - Day 5

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 18:37:04 -0600, Paul Cassel
wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

Another problem he seems to have is that when he tightens up the
shrouds it deforms the boat. the usual cure for that is a tie rod
between the mast step and the underside of the deck.

I was trying to be gentle. If he's deforming his boat at the PROPER
shroud tension, he's sailing a POS which shouldn't be in commission. If
he's deforming a well made boat, then he's not at the proper tension.

I didn't want to say it so out and out but there, I have.

I have a deck stepped mast but from what I read all keel stepped masts
will deform when the shrouds are tensioned. The usual fix if a "tie
rod" which is bolted to the deck and the mast step to prevent the deck
from flexing upward. Apparently this is a normal trait of keel stepped
boats

Bruce-in-Bangkok