Marc Beroz

Default Westerbeke vs Universal diesel

I am looking at 2 Pearson sailboats. One has a Universal model 12 engine &
the other has a Westerbeke 12. Does either engine have a better reputation
than the other?
Marc

rhys

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 00:13:37 -0400, "Marc Beroz"
wrote:

I am looking at 2 Pearson sailboats. One has a Universal model 12 engine &
the other has a Westerbeke 12. Does either engine have a better reputation
than the other?
Marc

I believe they might be the same as I think Westerbeke bought
Universal in the late '80s...so the Universal might be the older
engine.

Westerbeke is generally considered middle of the road, quality-wise.
Everyone likes Volvos until they have to buy a spare part, and Yanmars
are currently the default setting, although that may be because so few
people do their own diesel maintenance.

Anyone past a certain age seems to consider the Perkins 4-108 God's
own diesel in terms of reliability and owner-maintainability, but they
are getting fairly elderly now, as are the boats in which they burble
and shake.

R.

Gould 0738

I believe they might be the same as I think Westerbeke bought
Universal in the late '80s...so the Universal might be the older
engine.

You are correct that Westerbeke and Universal are the same company.
There is no reason to suspect that the Universal must be older than the
Westerbeke, either trademark can be purchased brand new today.

I suspect Westerbeke may run both lines so they can appoint more dealers in
crowded markets. Dealer "A" is the "exclusive" Westerbeke dealer, but to keep
him hustling and competitive in price they give the same product to Dealer "B"
and call it a Universal instead.

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
rhys wrote:

Anyone past a certain age seems to consider the Perkins 4-108 God's
own diesel in terms of reliability and owner-maintainability, but they
are getting fairly elderly now, as are the boats in which they burble
and shake.

R.

Nothing wrong with a 4-108. I have one that had 40,000 hours on it when
it was rebuilt, top and bottom. It now has another 9,000 hours on it and
is just hitting it's stride. Complete Rebuild Kit for a 4-108 goes for
about $800US. Try getting a rebuild kit for anywhere near that, for any
other engine, in the same power range. This is one engine that has
staying power for years and years.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Lloyd Sumpter

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 06:02:40 +0000, Gould 0738 wrote:

I believe they might be the same as I think Westerbeke bought Universal
in the late '80s...so the Universal might be the older engine.

You are correct that Westerbeke and Universal are the same company.
There is no reason to suspect that the Universal must be older than the
Westerbeke, either trademark can be purchased brand new today.

I suspect Westerbeke may run both lines so they can appoint more dealers
in crowded markets. Dealer "A" is the "exclusive" Westerbeke dealer, but
to keep him hustling and competitive in price they give the same product
to Dealer "B" and call it a Universal instead.

Although both under the name of "Westerbeke", the Universals are different
engines. For instance, the M25XPB (3-cyl, 1.0L, 26hp@3000rpm) that I just
put into Far Cove is an updated Universal M25. It says "Universal" on the
side, painted a different colour, and the closest equivalent "Westerbeke"
is a 30B (3-cyl, .95L, 27hp@3600rpm). DEFINITELY a different engine, in
more ways than the colour.

Also, at least around here, you get a "Universal" engine from the
"Westerbeke" dealer.

Kinda like Chev and Pontiac, I guess...

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

UK red diesel costs. Ken Baker General 0 May 25th 04 02:40 PM
Diesel outboard? Jack Rye Cruising 4 August 28th 03 08:34 PM
diesel fuel in the exhaust frank news Cruising 1 August 13th 03 09:08 PM
Cooling water output - Universal 11hp/2cyl/ diesel ??? RichH Cruising 0 August 4th 03 04:14 PM