frank news

Default diesel fuel in the exhaust

It could be anything from leaking injectors to a "puddle" in the exhaust
pipe. Bad injectors or even low compresssion. I hope it is not the
latter because that will invilve an overhaul. If you are not familure
with diesels, read a few books before attempting repairs. They are not
complicated, but have a few quirks. Have a look at the link below. It is
a good site to give a lay person "diesel 101"

http://howstuffworks.lycoszone.com/diesel1.htm

Regards,

Capt. Frank

Cheshire wrote:

I have recently purchased an older trawler and after a long trip, I recently
noticed some diesel fuel coming from the exhaust when tied up and idling.
Apparently not all of the fuel is being burned. Could this be dirty air
filters? Also, I was under the impression that unburned diesel fuel was sent
back the the fuel tank. Could there be some obstruction there?

I don't know much of anything about diesel engines, so any help would be
appreciated.

George

Bob Cook

How many engine hours since the injectors were last serviced? The
probability is they need servicing. So I'd just pull em and do it.

Bob

Visit us he www.Ocean-Pro.com
Atlantic & Pacific Weather Routing,
Offshore Sailing Instruction, Deliveries

Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale General 6 February 20th 04 02:28 PM
Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale Boat Building 7 February 19th 04 08:00 PM
Why Ficht failed no1 K Smith General 53 January 26th 04 07:46 PM
fuel delivery problem on outboard? help Russell Hermansen General 9 October 7th 03 01:40 AM
diesel fuel tanks P.C. Boat Building 2 August 22nd 03 04:10 AM