Lloyd Sumpter

Default Westerbeke vs Universal diesel

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 06:02:40 +0000, Gould 0738 wrote:

I believe they might be the same as I think Westerbeke bought Universal
in the late '80s...so the Universal might be the older engine.

You are correct that Westerbeke and Universal are the same company.
There is no reason to suspect that the Universal must be older than the
Westerbeke, either trademark can be purchased brand new today.

I suspect Westerbeke may run both lines so they can appoint more dealers
in crowded markets. Dealer "A" is the "exclusive" Westerbeke dealer, but
to keep him hustling and competitive in price they give the same product
to Dealer "B" and call it a Universal instead.

Although both under the name of "Westerbeke", the Universals are different
engines. For instance, the M25XPB (3-cyl, 1.0L, 26hp@3000rpm) that I just
put into Far Cove is an updated Universal M25. It says "Universal" on the
side, painted a different colour, and the closest equivalent "Westerbeke"
is a 30B (3-cyl, .95L, 27hp@3600rpm). DEFINITELY a different engine, in
more ways than the colour.

Also, at least around here, you get a "Universal" engine from the
"Westerbeke" dealer.

Kinda like Chev and Pontiac, I guess...

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36