JAXAshby

Default Good sewing machine for canvas work, examples? Results?

a walking foot is nicer when you have many thicknesses of cloth. I also find
the walking foot works better on sticky material, such as vinyl.

btw, I bought a Sailrite rather than a Pfaff 130 a.) when I heard a sewing
machine repairman with no axe to grind tell that parts are hard to get for the
130 and that a Singer 107 (older yet machine) was easier to keep running, and
b.) I noticed that the price of a "rebuilt" 40 to 55 years old Pfaff was about
the same as a brand new LSZ-1 Sailrite.

But the Pfaff does not have a walking foot, right? Doesn't that limit
you somewhat? I heard that, for instance, sewing sailcloth is
extremely difficult without walking foot. Is that true?

--Ernst

Cindy Ballreich writes:

The pfaff 130 was made to be used by commercial underwear makers. We have

used
ours to do a lot of sewing in addition to canvas work. It does zigzag and
stright stich. As long as you don't need fancy stiches it is the only

machine
you need.

Canvas underwear! Yow!
:-D

Steve

wrote in message

But the Pfaff does not have a walking foot, right? Doesn't that limit
you somewhat? I heard that, for instance, sewing sailcloth is
extremely difficult without walking foot. Is that true?

You are correct, the Pfaff dosen't have the walking foot and you have to
watch out for the gradual creap as the bottom material will want to feed
faster than the top.. Once your accustom, you instinctively allow for that
in you feed technique.

For the beginners, basting tape is a big help to overcome this problem.. I
did a UV cover on a large Genoa with out the basting tape and had a lot of
problem sewing the canvas to the dacron. Now they have a spray adhesive that
can be used to hold the cavas in place..

I like the walking foot because in a past life, I worked in a canvas shop
and we had commercial walking foot Singer machines for both canvas and
upholstery work. However, we never had zigzag so my 'after work' sail making
was only basted together and I used an old domestic machine for the zigzag
work.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Esourcedesigns

Curious, my mother (63 years of age) makes sails for the local area. She has
owned a Singer model 24-11 for decades. It has an 18 inch reach, lower walking
foot only, and with one available feature; reverse. There is no zig-zag which
my mother says only makes the seams strech more under load. I don't know if
this is true, but to make a long story short, this machine has a huge motor, a
seperate oil tank and pump to keep the machine lubed. I've seen this thing
handle the finest of fabrics as well multiple layers of leather without any
problems. I've worked as an installer for a small inland marine dealer for
years now but am seriously considering getting into the business with my
mother. I'm already spend my weekends in her shop helping out. Just a
thought.....

Dennis