Esourcedesigns

Default Good sewing machine for canvas work, examples? Results?

Curious, my mother (63 years of age) makes sails for the local area. She has
owned a Singer model 24-11 for decades. It has an 18 inch reach, lower walking
foot only, and with one available feature; reverse. There is no zig-zag which
my mother says only makes the seams strech more under load. I don't know if
this is true, but to make a long story short, this machine has a huge motor, a
seperate oil tank and pump to keep the machine lubed. I've seen this thing
handle the finest of fabrics as well multiple layers of leather without any
problems. I've worked as an installer for a small inland marine dealer for
years now but am seriously considering getting into the business with my
mother. I'm already spend my weekends in her shop helping out. Just a
thought.....

Dennis