Default check valve

The location of the loop will have no effect on how hard the pump works, at
least not that can be measured. The easy location, close to the pump, will
have minimum backflow and will be ideal. Only possible drawback I can see
is that the engine heat will make the little rubber flapper in the siphon
break dry out and need replacement slightly sooner. This isn't the big deal
it would be with sewage. Even if it leaks a bit, you probably would never
notices.

Go for it.

Roger

No need for a vented loop on those but it's probably worth putting in just
to reduce the back flow and amount of water in the bilge.

While you're at it perhaps we should revisit my current thinking on bilge
pumps ad currently done on "Strider".

The Rule, et. a., pumps often have a short life sitting in the bilge water.
Most of the water they pump is in very small amounts. The hose sized for
the pump to save your boat is large enough to cause a lot of backflow and
water in the bilge with a transom discharge. The answer to both problems is
two pumps. The first, in your current location, would be a small pump with
a 1/2 or 5/8 hose. This will easily deal with condensation, stuffing box
drips, etc. It will also make less noise and draw less current. The
second pump would be located high enough above the bilge that it will always
be dry, it can have a simple float switch because, if it is ever needed, it
will probably go on and stay on until the battery runs down. This pump
would be the largest appropriate for the hose diameter.

You could put a Tee a couple feet downstream of the vented loop and run the
small pump into that. If only the big pump was running, some water would
divert back into the bilge but, mose likely, the litte pump would already be
working against a leak that was simply faster than it could keep up with.

The ideal thing would be a second line for the primary (small) pump. I
would run this out the counter bottom just ahead of the transom.

--
Roger Long

In article ,
Roger Long wrote:
The location of the loop will have no effect on how hard the pump works, at
least not that can be measured. The easy location, close to the pump, will
have minimum backflow and will be ideal. Only possible drawback I can see
is that the engine heat will make the little rubber flapper in the siphon
break dry out and need replacement slightly sooner. This isn't the big deal
it would be with sewage. Even if it leaks a bit, you probably would never
notices.

Go for it.

Famous last words!

So, you think the vented loop would be fine in the engine space vs. in the transom? I don't think the engine temp will have that much of an effect. I'm also going to go to a dripless system at the next haulout.

In article ,
Roger Long wrote:
[...]

I was also thinking about a second pump at some point. Right now, I have two... one for the primary and one for the shower sump. But neither would help much for a major leak.

In article ,
wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 21:11:21 -0500, lid (Jonathan
Ganz) wrote:

Here's another pic of the discharge. Not sure why I said it before, but the discharge is on

the starboard side, not the port side. The port side is engine discharge. I must be dyslexic
today.

http://picasaweb.google.com/SailNOW....20431152743042

Congrats on your "funny" this morning!

I had one posted too long ago.

I laughed when my friend sent it too me... haven't see it show it yet here though. I knew it was accepted, but sometimes they change things.