Default A new approach to mountain climbing . . .

First off, this is not an off-topic post as the title might indicate.
Rather, I shall make a point about mountain climbing when it's not mountain
climbing and then equate it to sailing when it's not sailing. Here goes . .
..

You're off on an expedition to climb Mt. Everest. But, instead of the
traditional guided trip that you purchase from professionals,
http://alpineascents.com/everest-why-climb.asp a new company is offering
to guarantee that you summit Everest without ever having to breathe hard,
become cold, be endangered or miss a single hot meal. This company has a new
invention. It is sort of a mountain-specific climbing machine with
caterpillar type treads and pulleys for cables etc. Large steel cables have
been strung all the way to the top of Everest and this machine claws and
pulls itself to the summit. Inside there is heat, color television, hot food
on demand, sleeping quarters, showers, a bar, a sauna, world telephones,
maids, and all other manner of luxuries. You simply purchase a very
expensive ticket and a week later you can tell the whole world that you
summited Everest.

Is this really mountain climbing? I think not.

In like manner is "sailing" in some huge, heavy, luxury-filled boat that is
automated, has wind up sails, has a washer/dryer, dishwasher, hot and cold
running water, air conditioning, refrigeration, ice maker, bar, satellite
TV, stove/oven/broiler, auto pilot, autonavigation, large diesel, generator,
water maker, etc. really sailing?

I think not!

So one must ask why do so many people consider various versions of the above
abomination sailing? Why do they brag about their floating condos? Why is it
they just don't seem to see the folly of their thoughts, desires and actions
which cry out loudly and clearly to any real sailor, "Here is a pretender! A
lubber afraid to really go sailing but who wants to brag that he does."

Do you see my point?

I have spoken.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
[...]

I find myself in total agreement with you. And it could explain the why
for's that Herodotus fellow and that Bruce in Bangkok fellow keep on
bad-mouthing you. Jealous of sailors who get around using sails.

They have the kind of boat you describe. What they do isn't sailing but
they seem to think it is. They are just trawler types with riding sails that
are a little bigger than the usual trawler riding sail. Only they don't use
their sails as often because they've got heavy ballast keels. But their
motors are constantly under repair. Worn slap out! That should tell you
something about their motoring habits. Constant or near constant, I would
say.

Anyway, keep up with the posts that think out of the box. I enjoy them
very much. It puts things in perspective for me.

-----
Eric Starnes.

"Eric Starnes" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the kind words, Eric. Around here the rewards for brilliance are
few and far between. There's Bob and Kapt. Krunch who are wise enough to
appreciate my brilliance and now you. That makes three. But you guys are
outnumbered by the likes of BrucieBoi the lady boi at the Bangkok dock and
of late, Herodotard! Or out-mouthed, at any rate.

I don't let those Rubes bother me. I know it scaffolds their flaccid spines
to be able to, at least, pretend to be real sailors in this group where most
subscribers are so woefully ignorant that they manage to get away with their
obvious bragging and lying. The fact remains that they have failed at it out
there on the high seas and are washed up and reduced to living on a rotting
dock in some third world backwater and probably on some muddy polluted river
in England (posts timed stamped GMT) for the Hero dotard which is just as
bad.

--
Cheers,
[...]

My Dear Eric, aka Wilbour or one of his multiple personailities

Try making a few crossings of the Tasman Sean in the Roaring forties
and beat against the wind, waves and adverse currents going West
before you make such ridiculous comments. My engine would not progress
against these as fast as a long tack does.

Besides, if you checked on the distance you would find that you have
to travel at least 1,200 miles (or more) and I don't tow a tanker
barge.

Leave any harbour in New Zealand and you are eiother into the Tasman
Sea, one of the nastiest in the world of the Pacific. Very rarely do
we not get wind. We generally don't wait until the 30 knot winds abate
like I have seen elsewhere.

Get a life or at least don't make such foolish and stupid comments
when you are obviously ignorant of the real world.

You know nothing of my or Bruce's boats, in which you are very much
mistaken, which is understandable in that you:

a) have obviously done no or little cruising

b) live in the land of the water Winnebago.

There is a wonderful New Zealand rural saying that would direct you to
obtain a certain portion of a cow's anatomy, pull it over your head
and incite a bull to perform a certain action upon you in order to
instill some sense in to you.

I am too cultured and sophisticated to quote it.

"Give instruction to a wise man and he shall profit by it
Give instruction to a fool and he will remain a fool"
Book of Proverbs - Christian Bible

On 2008-06-28 20:45:19 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
said:

In like manner is "sailing" in some huge, heavy, luxury-filled boat that is
automated, has wind up sails, has a washer/dryer, dishwasher, hot and cold
running water, air conditioning, refrigeration, ice maker, bar, satellite
TV, stove/oven/broiler, auto pilot, autonavigation, large diesel, generator,
water maker, etc. really sailing?

Hold it! Don't you sail a 72mm something-or-other?

--
Jere Lull

On 2008-06-28 20:45:19 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
said:

In like manner is "sailing" in some huge, heavy, luxury-filled boat that is
automated, has wind up sails, has a washer/dryer, dishwasher, hot and cold
running water, air conditioning, refrigeration, ice maker, bar, satellite
TV, stove/oven/broiler, auto pilot, autonavigation, large diesel, generator,
water maker, etc. really sailing?

Hold it! Don't you sail a 72mm something-or-other?

No, it's a 68 foot Swan.

He must have stripped out all of the useless mod cons such as engine,
winches, running water, flush toilets etc and hauls up the chain and
the heavy anchor by hand. What a man. What a bull****ter. What a
pitiful character.

I simply cannot imagine any one who is reasonably sane and balanced,
living a reasonably interesting and satisfying life getting their
jollies by living their entire life in this newsgroup. Rather sad
really.

Who does he think he is fooling? Perhaps himself.

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 20:45:19 -0400, a person writing as "Wilbur
Hubbard" wrote:

You're off on an expedition to climb Mt. Everest. But, instead of the
traditional guided trip that you purchase from professionals,
// This company has a new
invention. It is sort of a mountain-specific climbing machine with
caterpillar type treads and pulleys for cables etc.

///
Is this really mountain climbing? I think not.
I have spoken.

Wilbur Hubbard

The person writing here as Wilbur has spoken indeed. He has
described what is now known as the "Robert Falcon Scott
Fallacy for Antarctic Travel".

In a polar race with Amundsen, Scott chose caterpillar trucks
for the trip, abhorring the use of dogs - "SO UnBritish!"

They broke down in the frigid conditions of course, so the men were
tasked with man-hauling sleds. (No cruel and unusual treatment
of dogs there, but you cannot slaughter men for emergency food
either.)
They had the doubtful pleasure of seeing Amundsen's flag at the pole,
and their ultimate endurance gave out within a few miles of their
supply dump for the trip out. They all perished.

That's about what I would expect of a mountain escalating machine
too.....

Brian W

Hello everyone, I'm new on the Forum, writing from Argentina (sorry
about my english), I'm a rock climber and I'm preparing my first
expedition to a mountain with a few friends more experienced than me,
maybe someone here can tell me a few tips about making an expedition.

Regards,
Gonzalo.

If someone is interested, can see information about mountain climbing
gear on my new website http://mountainclimbinggear.zoxic.com/

Gonza wrote:
Hello everyone, I'm new on the Forum, writing from Argentina (sorry
about my english), I'm a rock climber and I'm preparing my first
expedition to a mountain with a few friends more experienced than me,
maybe someone here can tell me a few tips about making an expedition.

Regards,
Gonzalo.

If someone is interested, can see information about mountain climbing
gear on my new website http://mountainclimbinggear.zoxic.com/

A spinnaker should really grab on top of that mountain!
You You is offline

In article
,
Gonza wrote:

Hello everyone, I'm new on the Forum, writing from Argentina (sorry
about my english), I'm a rock climber and I'm preparing my first
expedition to a mountain with a few friends more experienced than me,
maybe someone here can tell me a few tips about making an expedition.

Regards,
Gonzalo.

If someone is interested, can see information about mountain climbing
gear on my new website http://mountainclimbinggear.zoxic.com/

Try not to let a Rock, fall on your head.........