Brian Whatcott Brian Whatcott is offline

Default A new approach to mountain climbing . . .

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 20:45:19 -0400, a person writing as "Wilbur
Hubbard" wrote:

You're off on an expedition to climb Mt. Everest. But, instead of the
traditional guided trip that you purchase from professionals,
// This company has a new
invention. It is sort of a mountain-specific climbing machine with
caterpillar type treads and pulleys for cables etc.

///
Is this really mountain climbing? I think not.
I have spoken.

Wilbur Hubbard

The person writing here as Wilbur has spoken indeed. He has
described what is now known as the "Robert Falcon Scott
Fallacy for Antarctic Travel".

In a polar race with Amundsen, Scott chose caterpillar trucks
for the trip, abhorring the use of dogs - "SO UnBritish!"

They broke down in the frigid conditions of course, so the men were
tasked with man-hauling sleds. (No cruel and unusual treatment
of dogs there, but you cannot slaughter men for emergency food
either.)
They had the doubtful pleasure of seeing Amundsen's flag at the pole,
and their ultimate endurance gave out within a few miles of their
supply dump for the trip out. They all perished.

That's about what I would expect of a mountain escalating machine
too.....

Brian W