Brett Jeffery

Default Looking to buy a Grand Banks 42 Classic & need some info

Hi all,

A few questions re Grand Banks 42 Classic.

1) I need to calculate volume for break bulk cargo costing. Can
anybody advise the height of a GB42 Classic from the keel line to the
top of the flybridge sides. Mast and bimini will be lowered. She was
built 1978 although I don't think the basic dimensions have changed
over the years.

2) The engines are Ford Lehman Super 275. Any advise on operating and
parts procurement would be appreciated. I would like to get hold of a
maintenance or workshop manual and have not yet had any luck. I am in
Sydney, Australia but I suspect I will need to go fairly far afield to
get some parts.

3) Has anyone had any experience getting information out of Grand
Banks regarding the history of a particular hull. Such as any special
build instructions or modifications, or the original name that a
particular boat was given.

Thanks in advance.
Brett Jeffery
Gould 0738

1) I need to calculate volume for break bulk cargo costing. Can
anybody advise the height of a GB42 Classic from the keel line to the
top of the flybridge sides. Mast and bimini will be lowered. She was
built 1978 although I don't think the basic dimensions have changed
over the years.

Without measuring a physical boat, here is some information that should help
you come close enough for calculating shipping:

Examining a photo of a 42 GB Classic from an angle directly off the beam, the
waterline measures 7.8 cm. We know that the waterline is 41'1" long on the
actual boat. (Caveat, we're measuring the apparent length in a 2D photo, not
including any allowance for curvature of the hull). Height from the waterline
to the forward curve of the flybridge cowling in the same photo is 2.3 cm.

I'm the last guy to trust for math, but I think that if you wanted to calculate
this, you would come up with a propsition something like: 7.8 cm is to 41'1"
just like
2.3 cm is to X. (At that point, my brain starts to ache and I ask my wife to
calculate the answer).

One you have figured out the height from the waterline to the top of the
flybridge cowling, add 50"......the 50" represents the draft that doesn't show
in the photo.

This won't work if you need a figure down to the gnat's behind, but shipped
boats are lashed on deck more frequently than stuffed into a hold and they're
irregularly shaped to begin with....You'll likely be close enough for a good
calculation, and the shipping co. may take their own meaurements once the boat
is cradled and loaded anyway.

2) The engines are Ford Lehman Super 275. Any advise on operating and
parts procurement would be appreciated. I would like to get hold of a
maintenance or workshop manual and have not yet had any luck.

I plugged in "Ford Lehman manual" on the serach engine and got 225 hits.

If still no luck, and you don't mind calling the US, phone Norm Dibble at Pat's
Marine Engines in Seattle. 206-285-0184.
He's the acknowledged Lehman guru up this way, and if anybody would know he
would. Might have some luck raising him on

3) Has anyone had any experience getting information out of Grand
Banks regarding the history of a particular hull. Such as any special
build instructions or modifications, or the original name that a
particular boat was given.

Good luck with that one. I think the factory has moved twice, or at least once
anway, since 1978. You might be able to find out
what dealer the boat was sold to, but most likely not the name of the boat when
finally commissioned.

All is not lost, however......there are any number of Grand Banks Owners Groups
out there. The tend to be regional, rather than national, so the members can
plan a rendezvous schedule. See if you can find the GB owner's group for the
region where you bought the boat. Somebody in the group may well be familiar
with the post-production history of that specific vessel. "Oh, yeah! The
"Pileknocker"! Belonged to Doctor Frank N. Stein and his Mrs..........."
(etc)... Careful what you ask for, sometimes. :-)