JimB

Default push vs pull vis a vis rudders

JAXAshby wrote in message
If you could demonstrate, prove or explain why water speed

should
be identical along each side of the rudder

water speed does not have to be equal or greater or less. This

can be a bit
confusing because "bernoulli" is often -- though erroneously --

given as the
reason sails/wings have "lift".

Sails/wings create lift (a force) by altering the momentum of the
air passing by.

The mechanism creating this lift is a (mean) fluid pressure
difference between one side, and the other, of the sail/wing.

Any pressure change in a freely flowing fluid will be matched to
a change in local fluid speed (barring supersonics, flow
breakaway, and the trivial effects of surface viscosity) to
conserve energy. This is (presumably) the 'bernouili' bit you
claim is often erroneous.

Interesting.

Do you disagree with the concept of conservation of energy? or do
you claim special conditions which make his equations irrelevant?

It might be a bit easier to remember that for the rudder to be

pushed one way,
it (the rudder) must push water the opposite way. If the water

is not
deflected then there is no force on the rudder.

Agree; for the rudder to create yaw, it must deflect water. It
must change the momentum of the water. Many ways of saying the
same thing. That's where I'm stuck. I see the rudder (prop in
reverse, boat static) altering the direction of the water
approaching the prop.

Now, perhaps it doesn't. Or perhaps there's an opposite effect
somewhere else which I haven't yet identified. I'm looking for
education here, not stating a flat opinion.

JimB

JimB

Derek Rowell wrote in message

Repeat the experiment with the "rudder" on the inlet side of

the fan
(transmission in reverse). Is there a turning effect (torque)

or not? Is
there a sideways thrust on the "rudder"?
You tell me - I just did it. The answers to all four questions

is yes.

Yes, in reverse there is a torque on the rudder. But (if I read
your hinges correctly) it may be caused by a solely fore and aft
force on the rudder. Either would certainly explain the rudder
kick I have experienced.

What we're actually looking for is a net force at right angles to
the centreline of the boat, so the proper hinge for this
experiment would be parallel to the boat centreline, above the
flow. We'd then look to see if the paper was still deflected.

Just nipping off to play with some bits of wire and card . . .

JimB

JAXAshby

******************If****************** flow deflection takes place (rudder at
angle to flow), a force is
exerted.

*IF* is the operative word. The question is why do *you* believe there is
deflection? The physicists don't believe that. Why do you?

JAXAshby

to demonstrate a force due to suction

there is no force in nature called "suction". none.

JAXAshby

There is a demonstration of the Feynman
sprinkler puzzle somewhere at MIT.

the link was posted last night. the guy who hijacked the professor's email
addy should have taken greater care in whose address he grabbed, for it would
seem the real professor at MIT would have long ago known of the demo that any
student -- or his mother or even little sisten in grade school -- could walk up
to and push the button to see for himself.
JAXAshby

This is (presumably) the 'bernouili' bit you
claim is often erroneous.

jim, please don't make the mistake of saying that wings lift "because they are
round on one side". you can go to any airshow on the planet and see aircraft
fly upside down, the round side of the wing towards the ground

bernouili had to do with venturi effects and "sounds" scientific to lay ears.
a 1st semester aero eng student knows that bernouili does not explain lift.
JAXAshby

Sails/wings create lift (a force) by altering the momentum of the
air passing by.

yes.

for the rudder to create yaw, it must deflect water.

yes.

It
must change the momentum of the water.

yes.

That's where I'm stuck

yes.

I see the rudder (prop in
reverse, boat static) altering the direction of the water
approaching the prop.

no, the water pressure of either side of th rudder is the same.

Now, perhaps it doesn't

it doesn't.

perhaps there's an opposite effect
somewhere else which I haven't yet identified

the water pressure on either side of a rudder is the same for water drawn over
the rudder.