Doug Dotson

Default push vs pull vis a vis rudders

I responded to an original post entitled "push vs pull vis a vis rudders".
Not familiar with the thread about Thrust Vectoring.

doug
S/v Callista

Subject: push vs pull vis a vis rudders
From: "Doug Dotson"

Actually, I'm not sure how the subject of steering astern got into the
discussion as it was not a consideration of the original post about

"thrust
vectoring".
However, on a twin screw boat (and this was what I believe he was

discussing)
you don't need to have headway or sternway to alter your heading. This can

be
done with props alone, or more easily and quickly, with props and rudders.
In various maneuvering situations, this can be a great advantage, and just

throw in a kicker, the advantage can work with single screw as well.

Shen

Net, net, you wanna steer with a rudder backing up, prop forward of the

rudder,
you MUST be moving.

Not sure what the point of steering if you are not moving would be?

or reverse. If you are not moving, steering has no meaning.

Doug
s/v Callista