mono sect

Default Which way do I turn the torque fin to compensate for the pull?

My boat pulls to the right with a clockwise spinning prop, which direction
should the fin thing be turned to compensate...and how much?

Thanks

Clams Canino

Usually all the way - in the opposite direction of the pull.

-W

"mono sect" wrote in message
My boat pulls to the right with a clockwise spinning prop, which direction
should the fin thing be turned to compensate...and how much?

Thanks

Joe Blizzard

"mono sect" wrote
My boat pulls to the right with a clockwise
spinning prop, which direction should the fin
thing be turned to compensate

Assuming you're talking about an outboard or IO, the fin thing, which some
people call a trim tab, is like a little rudder on the back of the drive
mechanism. It will turn the drive by exerting some force on the back of it
just like a rudder would turn a boat. The confusing part is that you're
turning your drive, not your boat, so you want to adjust the "fin thing" to
turn your drive in the appropriate direction to push your boat the way you
want it to go.

and how much?

Just enough.

IBNFSHN

Turn it a little at a time in the direction of the pull.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

"mono sect" wrote in message
My boat pulls to the right with a clockwise spinning prop, which direction
should the fin thing be turned to compensate...and how much?

Thanks

Rod McInnis

"mono sect" wrote in message
My boat pulls to the right with a clockwise spinning prop, which direction
should the fin thing be turned to compensate...and how much?

I second what Joe says: the fin acts to turn the outdrive. It doesn't turn
the boat.

If the boat pulls to the right, then it is because the outdrive wants to
kick to the right. To counteract that, you want the fin to push the
outdrive to the left. Where this gets confusing is when you try to think of
the fin as a rudder, because to get the outdrive to kick to the right you
need the fin turned so that the tail end is to the right, which if it were a
rudder would make you turn right.

Bottom line: Turn it a small amount and try it. If it gets worse, move it
the other way.

Rod

CB

"IBNFSHN" wrote in message
Turn it a little at a time in the direction of the pull.

Thank You

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va