Bob Bob is offline

Default Proper watch standing?

On Jun 9, 6:19*am, wrote:
On Jun 9, 2:54*am, Bob wrote:

On Jun 8, 4:33*pm, wrote:

Issure one 1) why would you want to be out there in a a sailboat that
flips over and stays turtle?

Ever hear of a keel falling off?

Y yes, on boats maintained by knuckle heads *who do not know enough to
inspect the bolts.

Is that the only reason Expert Bob?

Why not have one properly mounted in a self launching bracket they
were designed for?

Because where I sail it would get swept off and deployed. *I keep my
EPIRBs:
a. one in the boat

Thats dumb as you. Every EPIRB mfg in the world will tell you thats a
big mistake. If your keel falls off and you sink in 10 seconds, or a
ship plows you over the epirb is going down with the boat.

The 406 MHz EPIRBs are divided into two categories. Category I EPIRBs
are activated either manually or automatically. The automatic
activation is triggered when the EPIRB is released from its bracket.
Category I EPIRBs are housed in a special bracket equipped with a
hydrostatic release. This mechanism releases the EPIRB at a water
depth of 3-10 feet. The bouyant EPIRB then floats to the surface and
begins transmitting. If you own a Category I EPIRB, it's very
important that you mount it outside your vessel's cabin where it will
be able to "float free" of the sinking vessel.

b. one personal on my mustang suit/harness depending on weather
c. one packed in the valease raft which is stored... again, inside teh
boat.

Again a big mistake, but that seems standard for you.

Perhaps he had a cheap-o one like you suggested and
it proved to be worthless unless an airplane happens to fly over.

O, and EPIRBS transmit to satellites not airplanes.................
but im sure you knew that

SAR receive 406 and home in on 121's . You expecting a satellite to
pluck you from the water?

Ill be kind regarding your stainment. your Language and word choice is
a window into who are, what you know, and where you grew up.

Issue 3) Obviously lacked high water bilge alarm

Could have failed, float switch might have stuck. He might have had a
short in the 12 v system rendering the alarm and pumps usless.

again see above language. I use two high water alarms on seperate
circuits. the switches have no moving parts. Its not normally common
on the recreational yachts ive poked around. If yould like I could
post a link to the swithc if you like.

Any "swithc" is usless without power, and both circuits could go down
at once unless you have two sources of power.

Issue 4) SInce there was no crash I would bet the water got in through
a) stuffing box b) through hull valve/hose asymbly
c) possible transducer leak.

It is stupid for you even to guess without examaning the boat and
talking to the owner.

Seems pretty much a no brainer to me. *Boat fills with water.

That's your problem, you are a no brainer.

But I forgot, you a a bonafide lifeboatman
student so that makes you a leading marine expert right?

no expert. Just what any normal person would realize. Roger is the
resident expert here.

A normal person would know with so little information not to jump
conclusions.

And Im not a student. got my LB certificate a couple weeks ago. It was
actually pretty fun !

And I suspect #1 is stupidity also... who whould ever want an ocean
boat that did not right itself????

*Having no other details but it being capsized it is stupid for you to
even guess why it turned turtle and did not right itself. If you had a
picture, of even a clue as to the type of boat you might be able to
make a guess. But I forgot, you attended dive school 40 years ago so
you are indeed a leading expert on turning turtle.
Fred

Well Fred, two last things.

First I went to DIT in 1980 *so not quite 30 years ago. I guess you
could also give me **** for get a sports scuba card at age 12 in 1967.
And AB LB STWC-95 in 2008. Humm I wonder where I got the sea time for
that AB? I guess I musta sqezzed it in someplace inbetween playing
with myself.

Second, I am truely flattered that you decided to use my word
choices......... "turning turttle."
thank you for copying me

I guess you now think you coined the term "Turning turtle" Seems you
have a habit of over estimating your skills, knowledge, and seamanship
abilities.

*I met a nice Marshallese trany Friday at the bus stop while I was
picking the mango strings that got stuck in my teeth. do you want me
to hook ya up with him, ur I mean her? Sweet thing s/he was.

Sounds like you got laid for the first time since diving school.

He said

she really liked white boys bcause they are such good lovers and so
attentive ........

So it like you, glad you could focus on your new lover. Must be that
spiffy AB/cabin boy uniform that impressed him so.

Fred
bob- Hide quoted text -

My Dearest Fred,

Thank you for such a thoughtful, detailed, and crafted response. Im so
pleased to see youre spending such valuable time respnding to my
natterings. There is no better compliment than attending to another
mans thoughts. You truely are a gentleman.

I am also pleased to know you under stand that the 406 transmits to
both satalite and planes. That is reasuring.

Regarding why I keep both EPIRB and life raft inside. As I mentioned
before I simply do not want either to be riped off my deck from the
green water that I find there commonally. Now I know that your sailing
activities may differ from mine and therfore ALOW that you have that
gear located on the deck. To each his own.

Hey, im catching a bus in an hour and heading into town. WOuld you
like me to get that trany's email address? I can get ya hooked up if
ya want. she would really like to go to the states.

Its been pleasant chatting with you Fred,
Bob

In article
,
Bob wrote:

O, and EPIRBS transmit to satellites not airplanes.................
but im sure you knew that

Actually EPIRB's transmit to BOTH... They use 406 Mhz for Sat coverage,
and have a 121.5/243 Mhz low power beacon for Aircraft & Vessel SAR
Homing, plus usually a Strobe, for visual Position Fixing.

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply

On Jun 9, 1:19*pm, Bruce in alaska wrote:
In article
,

*Bob wrote:
O, and EPIRBS transmit to satellites not airplanes.................
but im sure you knew that

Actually EPIRB's transmit to BOTH... They use 406 Mhz for Sat coverage,
and have a 121.5/243 Mhz low power beacon for Aircraft & Vessel SAR
Homing, plus usually a Strobe, for visual Position Fixing.

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply

And the little walkie talkie personal ones are next to usless offshore
in the water and have a very short battery life compared to a class A
Cat 1.

Then he claims he keeps his below decks, worried it may be washed
over. Just how stupid is that?
I understand he's a lifeboat man, yet has no understanding of a
hydrostatic release.
Fred

wrote in message
"He said it just started sinking in the middle of the night," McGrew
said. "He woke up and half the boat was under water."

http://www.enctoday.com/news/_57288_...le.html/_.html

Fred

Sounds like he needs a sailing stone. Hang it from a string, leans to port
or starboard you know you're heeled, if it's wet it's raining or spray is
about, if it's very wet your under water. Close cousin to the weather rock.

On Jun 9, 1:12*pm, Bob wrote:

*I met a nice Marshallese trany Friday at the bus stop while I was
picking the mango strings that got stuck in my teeth.

Hey, im catching a bus in an hour and heading into town.

Bob-

Seems Bob will not be posting here much anymore, he's found his soul
mate.

Fred

Bob Bob is offline

On Jun 10, 7:14*am, wrote:
On Jun 9, 1:12*pm, Bob wrote:

**I met a nice Marshallese trany Friday at the bus stop while I was

picking the mango strings that got stuck in my teeth.

Hey, im catching a bus in an hour and heading into town.
Bob-

Seems Bob will not be posting here much anymore, he's found his soul
mate.

Fred

Hi Fred:
Actually, If I was sitting under a banana tree waiting for the bus
with you and the tranny I would be talk to her. He seems like a much
more honest and genuine person will much less bravado.
bob