Default "NAM" gribs over HF/Iridium?

I'm looking for a chopper that can give me sections of the NAM
(ideally 3hr 12k resolution) in grb format by mail or ftp. Saildocs
does COAMPS but it often doesn't have the current data and the model
isn't as useful (covers less area and at a lower resolution) and
saildocs only gets it in 6 hourly intervals. I've been testing NAM
with a boat currently in the Sea of Cortez and it seems to be doing a
very good job (GFS/NGP are hopeless there). The problem I have is
that I can't get gribs (except for the NOAA ftp at 40meg a pop). So I
wont be able to use when I head down there. Can the maxSea chopper do
NAM? Any other ideas?

Thanks,

-- Tom.

In article
,
" wrote:

I'm looking for a chopper that can give me sections of the NAM
(ideally 3hr 12k resolution) in grb format by mail or ftp. Saildocs
does COAMPS but it often doesn't have the current data and the model
isn't as useful (covers less area and at a lower resolution) and
saildocs only gets it in 6 hourly intervals. I've been testing NAM
with a boat currently in the Sea of Cortez and it seems to be doing a
very good job (GFS/NGP are hopeless there). The problem I have is
that I can't get gribs (except for the NOAA ftp at 40meg a pop). So I
wont be able to use when I head down there. Can the maxSea chopper do
NAM? Any other ideas?

Thanks,

-- Tom.

Whoosh...

Boat water, water boat. Sails. Rope. Miscellaneous gubbins..

--
Molesworth - who knows it's in english.. but doesn't understand a word.

Molesworth wrote in news:ukmole-
:

Boat water, water boat. Sails. Rope. Miscellaneous gubbins..

^^^^
LINE

In article ,
Larry wrote:

Molesworth wrote in news:ukmole-
:

Boat water, water boat. Sails. Rope. Miscellaneous gubbins..

^^^^
LINE

LOL!

--
Molesworth - halyard - so there!

I don't know whether they're "NAM" gribs or not but have a look at the ugrib
program from grib.us

It's a free program. It makes selecting an area and resolution easy and it
can be set up to display what it downloads and it can use the same directory
for GRIB storage that MaxSea does so that the grib data is available in
either program. There is no reason that it shouldn't work over iridium. It
only downloads the grib data that you request.

I find ugrib much easier to use than the email via chopper that maxsea
provides.

rb

On Jun 10, 10:03 pm, "Faire dinkum" wrote:
I don't know whether they're "NAM" gribs or not but have a look at the ugrib
program from grib.us

Thanks for that. It uses the GFS model. I use Airmail / Saildocs as
a chopper. It can get NOGAPS data which is generally better at sea
level than the GFS which is primarily an aviation model. Both of
those are global models and they do not do a good job in places that
have strong local heating and cooling. Airmail can also grab COAMPS
which is a meso scale model for some of the USA but, IMO, it doesn't
do a good job. Airmail can't do NAM because it uses a Lambert
Conformal grid (conic) and airmail only works with rectangular grids.
Bummer, as NAM appears to do the best job of predicting local wx in
the Sea of Cortes where winds are thermal.

-- Tom.