Default Chlorine removal - charcoal filter query

Hi,
Does anybody know if an activated charcoal filter removes chlorine
from fresh water such as that taken on board from municipal supplies

I read the following within an article in "Ocean Navigator" - online

"A charcoal filter is also required to prevent chlorine in water from
dockside sources getting to the membrane. It should be placed in the
system before the watermaker when tank water is used during
backflushing."

Further, I have had an activated charcoal filter for drinkable water
using the cartridge disposable household plumbing in-line filter for
years but have no idea as to how often one should change them.

Anybody know?

regards
Peter
Bil Bil is offline

On Jun 5, 2:12*pm, Herodotus wrote:

Further, I have had an activated charcoal filter for drinkable water
using the cartridge disposable household plumbing in-line filter for
years but have no idea as to how often one should change them.

Activated charcoal filters remove chemicals, including chlorine, by
adsorbing them onto sites on the surface of the charcoal. The number
of such sites on any one filter is limited, so the filter has a
limited life.

When using an AC filter to rid drinking water of chemicals causing
offensive tastes and smells, you'll know (by taste and smell) when to
change the filter.

For removing chlorine from town water such that the filtered water can
then be used to flush RO membranes, the story is more complicated.

Other than testing the level of free chlorine in the filtered water
(pool stores sell test kits for chlorine), I know of no way of testing
the effectiveness of an AC filter at removing chlorine. And I don't
know if an AC filter, stored dry, loses any of its adsorbed chlorine
(I suspect it must, but how much and how long it might take is unknown
to me).

The usual advice is to change the filter (some filters come with
advice about changing them every 3K litres/1K gallons, or every 6
months). AC filters are less expensive than RO membranes, so you
should err on the side of caution and just change the filter.

Cheers

Bil

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 23:59:58 -0700 (PDT), Bil
wrote:

[...]

///
Bil

Useful looking response. About checking for chlorine, off the top, it
seems to me that a total dissolved solids - TDS meter which measures
water conductivity, would provide a fair indication. They can be
bought under $30.

Brian W

Brian Whatcott wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

How would a TDS meter tell you if the water had chlorine or not? You have
no idea what the TDS of the water is. It might be interesting to compare
the TDS of the tank vs the TDS output of the water which has passed through
the carbon filter, but I'm not sure that would tell you much.

I use a carbon filter in the fresh water flush feed to my watermaker and
have had no problems.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org
Bil Bil is offline

Gotta agree with Geoff: a TDS meter is unlikely to tell you much about
chlorine. Pool test kits use either orthotolidine (called OTO in the
trade) or diethyl-p-phenylene diamine (DPD). I think DPD test kits are
more sensitive than OTO ones, but I'm unclear if pool test kits are
sensitive enough to pick up whatever level of chlorine that is in town
water and that is likely to damage an RO membrane.

AC filters definitely reduce chlorine in town water.

One secret to using an AC filter is to reduce the water pressure (ie
have a low flow rate through the AC filter). The idea being that the
longer the town water is in contact with the activated charcoal (AC),
the more likely the chlorine is to be adsorbed onto the surface of the
AC.

Bil

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 07:22:51 -0500, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

[...]

No doubt, you would need to engage brain to draw useful conclusions
but I expect a value for total ionic salts would serve as a useful
proxy for the Cl ion concentration.

Brian W

Brian Whatcott wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Please explain further. I have a tank of RO water to which city water with
an unknown TDS has been added. How do I tell from the TDS reading how much
Cl (if any, as it may have evaporated) is present?

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Peter,
You have received some pretty good responses to your query, but what
troubles me is your query. Please tell me you are NOT pumping the output of
your watermaker into your main water tank, because it very much sounds like
that is what you are doing. Please be aware that these watermakers fail and
that their failure can contaminate the output. It is always wise to use an
intermediate tank and then do a manual transfer after checking that the
generated water is OK.
Steve

"Herodotus" wrote in message
Hi,
Does anybody know if an activated charcoal filter removes chlorine
from fresh water such as that taken on board from municipal supplies

I read the following within an article in "Ocean Navigator" - online

"A charcoal filter is also required to prevent chlorine in water from
dockside sources getting to the membrane. It should be placed in the
system before the watermaker when tank water is used during
backflushing."

Further, I have had an activated charcoal filter for drinkable water
using the cartridge disposable household plumbing in-line filter for
years but have no idea as to how often one should change them.

Anybody know?

regards
Peter

Steve,

How are you claiming that watermakers fail? The only failures that I've
heard of are by cracking the membrane due to over pressurization or
sudden pressure change. In general they fail when someone hasn't
pickeled the system and then you don't get much output or the TDS is too
high. I've never heard of one failing during a production run.

I always check the TDS meter at the start of the run and at the end of
the run and I always see better TDS readings at the end. I pump
directly into my main (and only) tank and have never had any problems.

-- Geoff

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in
:

--
-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Geoff,
Nothing is bullet proof. One water tank is not acceptable with or without a
watermaker. There are a myiad of things that could foul the contents of a
water tank and a watermaker is just one of them. With two tanks and a
failure, you have a back-up. Make space, generate a second tank and direct
the output of the watermaker to just one of them with a transfer pump that
can move contents from one to the other. Just consider that you are 10 days
from the nearest water supply and your only, very ample water supply becomes
contaminated and your plan is?
Steve

.. .