Default Cranking Maersk Emma's Super Engine

http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/st...artsila-video/

http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/th...-super-engine/

You just GOTTA love those TWO STROKE DIESELS!....(c;

"Larry" wrote in message
http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/st...artsila-video/

http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/th...-super-engine/

You just GOTTA love those TWO STROKE DIESELS!....(c;

Did you notice that guy putting his hand in amongst all the moving (or
potentially moving) parts?

"Edgar" wrote in
:

"Larry" wrote in message
http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/st...artsila-video/

http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/th...-super-engine/

You just GOTTA love those TWO STROKE DIESELS!....(c;

Did you notice that guy putting his hand in amongst all the moving (or
potentially moving) parts?

I know a great guy who spent years in the engine rooms of piston
steamships. He's in his 80's, but in quite good health, considering.

Mike's two fingers on the opposite side of his thumb are permanently bent
from being broken several times. This was caused by him getting them
pinched between the crankshaft and the piston rod while feeling down in
between them to see if they have enough lubrication. They actually put
their hands into the moving crank to check, according to him.

I didn't believe this until I found a picture of a guy doing just that a
long time ago on the net. I can't find it now. It was years ago. That
diesel doesn't go much faster than Mike's steam engine did.

"Larry" wrote in message
"Edgar" wrote in
:

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I know they used to do that with steam engines. Round here there is a
fully restored whale catching vessel from about 50 years ago. Triple
expansion steam powered and the cranks are all open like you say. There is
even a spare crankshaft secured at the side of the engine room, so
unbelievably they contemplated the possibility of having to strip it all
down and replace the crankshaft while in Antartica!
It is moored by the quay all summer for the tourists and I have seen it all
when cold but this w/e they are going to fire it up and take a party of us
out for a trip. I will watch with interest when they are lubricating the big
end bearings.

so unbelievably they contemplated the possibility of having to strip it
all down and replace the crankshaft while in Antartica!

As opposed to, what? Being stranded in Antarctica?

Junior Member

For the record, the video showing the engine start is of a Wartsila 6L64 which in fact is a 4 stroke engine, not a 2 stroke. The camera is focused on the fuel rack, which is what controls the fuel pumps. (that engine has two fuel pumps per cylinder) There are no rotating parts on that part of the engine, although if one put a finger wrong when the rack was actuated (by the governor) one's finger could get crunched. You can see the rack being moved during the starting sequence. It is actually limited in movement during a start sequence to limit smoke production.

Regarding the other link showing the RTA96C engine on the Maersk ship(s), although the photo of the whole engine is in fact a 96C type, the other engine photos of the bedplate with crank, pistons, etc. are not from a 96C. Not that it matters much, because in principle they look very similar.

Rgds from one who knows,
Allgonquin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post

Allgonquin wrote in
:

Not that it matters much, because in principle they
look very similar.

Thanks. Maybe someone on Emma will carry the video cam into the engineroom
for us, soon. I, for one, would love to hear her crank and power Emma out
to sea.