Default Maersk Missouri - Why she has right of way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcukXDOVmG8&NR=1

"All back emergency!"

I wanna BE THERE!

Search Youtube for "Ship engine"
There's lots of them!

Thank you to all the engineers who took the time to video and upload these
magnificent videos of amazing machines.

I've had the cold iron tour of the Sea Land "Performance" by her master,
who is a ham radio friend. 7 cylinders, 2-stroke, 75 tons of oil per day,
38,800 HP.

Larry
I was in the wrong rating in the Navy.....

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 04:04:13 +0000, Larry wrote:

I've had the cold iron tour of the Sea Land "Performance" by her master,
who is a ham radio friend. 7 cylinders, 2-stroke, 75 tons of oil per day,
38,800 HP.

And that's at half power... :-)

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 04:04:13 +0000, Larry wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcukXDOVmG8&NR=1

I was in the wrong rating in the Navy.....

Doubtful. Although I heard minesweepers had 1 on 15 off watches
instead of the port/starboard I had for most of my tour.
I always dreamed about that kind of duty.
Since BT's and MM's outnumbered enginemen by probably 100 to 1, you
most likely would have listened to turbines instead of those loud
filthy bangers. Even the 35k hp GE main turbines on my can, at flank
speed. were quieter than that diesel racket.
Imagine wearing earmuffs your entire shift, then stuffing cotton in
your ears to get a quiet sleep in your cabin amid the cacophony still
transmitted through the hull.
But since you pointed me to there, note the sound difference in what
you linked to, and this example of elegance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a7ohFyz6sI

I crewed on a couple Great Lakes tankers with similar but much larger
engines. They are low of voice, powerful, handsome, and manly, which
is why steam has a kingly status.
Unlike the shrill queens that are diesels.
Another beauty. A baby, yet with a born eloquence that no adult
diesel can match. Too bad I can find only princes, and none of the
kings that once ruled the seas (-:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ELddU_5dDHg

--Vic

Vic Smith wrote in
:

why steam has a kingly status.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0mCFVrcswwU
You'd love a steam tour in England....where steam is STILL pumping water!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vnwLDX1K4...elated&search=
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0oix0R5TS...elated&search=

Larry
--
Search youtube for "Depleted Uranium"
The ultimate dirty bomb......

Ship - NYSTED MAERSK 7-07a.jpg Canal Lee Tall Ship Photos 0 August 6th 07 01:12 AM
Ship - NYSTED MAERSK 7-07.jpg Canal Lee Tall Ship Photos 0 August 6th 07 01:11 AM
Missouri: Cheap Gas Gilligan ASA 1 September 28th 06 02:21 PM
OT--Missouri goes to Bush NOYB General 16 August 8th 04 05:35 AM