Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
jason

Default cranking but no fire

Have a 83 mercruiser i/o 3.0l in a wellcraft. did a little maintance
on it getting ready for the season. The starter was acting up last
year and i pulled it and put in a new one. It is cranking fine, hits
good and hard every time. But i was getting no fire. I stated at the
plugs and traced back to see if i can see a spark. ended up at a bad
coil. Pulled it and heard the swishing sound, so unless the coil on a
marine motor is diffrent it's eletolitic fluid menbrane had busted.
replaced it with a coil form auto zone. Here is my problem, we still
have no spark
Pulled the volt meter out and found this:
With the key off:
we have nothing on the + 0.0v
we have nothing on the - 0.0
With the key in the on position:
we have 12v on the +
!!! we have 12v on the -
From my understanding, and without a service/maintenance manual on
hand,I believe this to be very wrong. Has something changed with the
starter cylanoid?
with all the wires on the cylanoid, there are only 2 that fit the
smaller poles. Tried reversing them, and got no cranking. So they are
in the correct postition. I did notice a momentary firing when i first
started the engine after putting the starter in, but nothing since
then. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TIA, JAW