Lloyd Sumpter

Default power vs sail

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 02:25:37 +0000, Gould 0738 wrote:

Chuck, how's that new diesel working out. Sorry if I missed the "sea trial"
report some where along the line.

Quite well, actually, and thanks for asking.

A long account of our engine swapping experience follows, should you care to
read about the gory details. This was part III of a series about our
misadventure.

SNIP

Thanks for the great story, Chuck. Sounds like the Operation was a complete
success. I Hear You about the "incidentals"! I ended up replacing the entire
exhaust system (why did you have a muffler custom-made? Vetus makes some nice
ones: www.vetus.com). And I also had some "stringer problems"...

I was out last weekend for the first real "outing" with the new engine. Sure was
great to be able to buck a 3-knot tide through First Narrows! But my prop is way
too steep: I'm getting two inches taken out so I'll be cruising at 6.5knots at
2500 rpm rather than at 2000 where I am now (max rpm is 3000 for this engine).
Sure is better than the 5 knots WOT I WAS getting.

Anyway, congrats on the new engine!

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - http://www.user.dccnet.com/lsumpter/engine/

Gould 0738

(why did you have a muffler custom-made? Vetus makes some nice
ones: www.vetus.com).

At just over $100, it wasn't really anything more than buying something from
the big box store. Any time I can patronize a local guy without being taken all
the way to the cleaners and back, I will.

tyvek (long) William R. Watt Boat Building 2 June 30th 04 05:09 AM
Power & Sail Matt Langenfeld Boat Building 0 June 29th 04 11:38 AM
Shore Power Parallax Cruising 5 October 15th 03 02:18 PM
Birds nests in sail folds?? Steve Cruising 9 September 18th 03 03:14 AM