DSK

Default power vs sail

Gould 0738 wrote:
A long account of our engine swapping experience follows, should you care to
read about the gory details.

Hey it's all about details. Thanks a lot for posting this Chuck, it was
very interesting reading and will be a big help on our boat too.

It sounds like you had pretty good & reliable work... changing the
mounts and the transmission is the sort of rock that sinks a lot of big
projects, but your guys pulled through. I hope this season is a really
good one for you all!

Fair Skies
Doug King

Gould 0738

(why did you have a muffler custom-made? Vetus makes some nice
ones: www.vetus.com).

At just over $100, it wasn't really anything more than buying something from
the big box store. Any time I can patronize a local guy without being taken all
the way to the cleaners and back, I will.
Don White

O:P) wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I thank you all very much for the advices and sugestions posted here. I
will be calling the local clubs and see what they have to offer, I already
checked their web sites (Humber & QueensQuay: thank you Scott), if there

are
any others I will apreciate the input. Me and my wife have been reading

the
postings, and we both agreed that sail its more for us.

Try this club also. If you meet a guy named Ken wintering on a Niagara
35...say Hi and tell him I sent you :-)
*** http://www.tscc.net/index.phtml ***

rhys

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 08:19:41 GMT, "O:P\)" wrote:

I thank you all very much for the advices and sugestions posted here. I
will be calling the local clubs and see what they have to offer, I already
checked their web sites (Humber & QueensQuay: thank you Scott), if there are
any others I will apreciate the input. Me and my wife have been reading the
postings, and we both agreed that sail its more for us.

Check out the National Yacht Club (mine, naturally!) We have a great
introductory crew program ($250 for eight weeks instruction and a
season of being in the Crew Bank) and a very active weeknight race
program. I learned more in one year of racing than in five years of
cruising, and now I cruise with more confidence and I daresay
efficiency, thanks to crewing on other peoples' boats.

National Yacht Club (416) 260-8686
www.thenyc.com

R.

anchorlt

"O:P\)" wrote in message able.rogers.com...
I am playing with the idea of a boat. I'm new to boating. What would you
folks recommend, power or sail? Do I need extra skills for sail boats? One
more question, do I need a license? and if yes, where do I get it? I'm in
Toronto.

If you are young and energetic, buy a sailboat. If you are older and
less agile than in earlier years, buy power.

I sailed and raced for first 30 years of owning boats. One day,
returning to home club on hot sunny summer and windless day after the
race was cancelled, I decided my sailing days were ended - no more
pushing and pulling strings. Two weeks later I bought a Grand Banks
trawler and for past 16 years have owned power boats. Each was
suitable for my age and physical status. Now, nearly 70, I like the
comfort and relatively higher speed of power, i.e., running away from
storms and especially lightening. I am also on the way down in length
of boats, from 70 feet to present boat, a 43 Eastbay.

anchorlt

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:21:52 GMT, "O:P\)" wrote:

3.time. I have my own enterprise and my time is kind of limited (the money
too), but I know I can make time for a boat, here and there couple of days.
So this is something else to consider for me. If I'm going to buy a boat, I
prefer to tide 15 thousand as opposed to 50 thousand on a boat that I'll use
5-6 times a year.

You don't want your own boat for that little use. Join a sailing club
to learn and use club boats.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.

What about chewing in a bar?
rhys

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:31:23 GMT, "Don White"
wrote:

Try this club also. If you meet a guy named Ken wintering on a Niagara
35...say Hi and tell him I sent you :-)
*** http://www.tscc.net/index.phtml ***

Ken and Lynn are wintering over at Spadina Quay Marina, and I think
they are going to Queen City, mainly because of the facilities and
draft are more appropriate for the bigger boat.

They are excellent people to talk to, however, and have just gone
through this process aided by scrupulous research and many lines of
investigation. You could do a lot worse.

R.

tyvek (long) William R. Watt Boat Building 2 June 30th 04 05:09 AM
Power & Sail Matt Langenfeld Boat Building 0 June 29th 04 11:38 AM
Shore Power Parallax Cruising 5 October 15th 03 02:18 PM
Birds nests in sail folds?? Steve Cruising 9 September 18th 03 03:14 AM