Gould 0738

Default power vs sail

I am playing with the idea of a boat. I'm new to boating. What would you
folks recommend, power or sail?

Do I need extra skills for sail boats?

Yup. In addition to knowing how to run a power boat, (which is what you would
likely be doing the majority of time for local jaunts on most sailboats..) you
need to learn how to sail.

Sailing fits well with folks who aren't in a hurry, and enjoy a more natural
experience. If you're the type who likes to backpack into the woods with a
poncho, a tarp, and a pound of granola you might make a great sailor. If your
idea of getting back to nature is to putt slowly through Yellowstone in a
Winnebago.......you're a powerboater.

Sailing will have you on deck in all kinds of weather, but powerboating can
make you feel isolated from the water.

1000 different boaters will give you 999 different answers. One option is a
power boat with a sailing dinghy. You need a dinghy anyway, might as well have
one rigged for sailing and you can enjoy being blown around by the wind a bit.

Here's an idea: Find two friends with boats.
One a powerboater, and the other a sailor.
Tell them each you will help wash the boat some Saturday if they will take you
out for the afternoon. That should get you a ride. :-)

Then, compare.

It's all boating, it's all having fun on the water. There are those who see
each school of boating as a "divine calling" and sneer at boaters in the
opposite category.
And yes, that's just as ignorant and prejudiced as it seems.

Any kind of boating can be fun.

One
more question, do I need a license? and if yes, where do I get it? I'm in
Toronto.

Some of the Provinces require boaters to complete and education course. I know
BC does. Not sure about Ontario.