Bob Bob is offline

Default Fatty Goodlander on NPR

Hi All:

For those who support National Public Radio (NPR) you can hear Fatty
Goodlander describe cruising for 48 years. Just heard the first of
several interviews this morning.

Ive read some of his articles but never heard this guy talk but must
say his admitted lack of any formal journalistic/rhetorical education
is painfully obvious. He comes off as a televangelist preacher. Sort
of a blend between Bob Bitchin meets Tammy & Jim Bakker. His delivery
is common among novice speakers who claim having “…years of public
speaking experience…” but miss the mark completely. It was forced and
sounded more appropriate from a two-bit carnival barker working next
to the Whack-A-Mole booth.

But heck…. Its about boats and he might have something worth hearing.
I’ll give it a listen.
bob

I didn't think it was that bad. Content-free, perhaps.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=90411144

I listened to about a minute of his talk on the npr webcast and gave up. The
content was trivial to those who have done even minimalist cruising and his
delivery was pure shtick.

David

On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:09:53 -0700 (PDT), Bob
wrote:

Hi All:

For those who support National Public Radio (NPR) you can hear Fatty
Goodlander describe cruising for 48 years. Just heard the first of
several interviews this morning.

Ive read some of his articles but never heard this guy talk but must
say his admitted lack of any formal journalistic/rhetorical education
is painfully obvious. He comes off as a televangelist preacher. Sort
of a blend between Bob Bitchin meets Tammy & Jim Bakker. His delivery
is common among novice speakers who claim having “…years of public
speaking experience…” but miss the mark completely. It was forced and
sounded more appropriate from a two-bit carnival barker working next
to the Whack-A-Mole booth.

But heck…. Its about boats and he might have something worth hearing.
I’ll give it a listen.
bob

Try this:
http://uk.youtube.com/user/KeepTurningLeft

Bob Bob is offline

On May 18, 12:04*pm, "David Marchand" wrote:
I listened to about a minute of his talk on the npr webcast and gave up. The
content was trivial to those who have done even minimalist cruising and his
delivery was pure shtick.

David

Hi David:

Gots to agree. I guess I was expecting more from NPR. Fatty's delivery
seemed as though he was attempting to be a "dynamic and motivational"
speaker. I wish he just be normal and tell us about boats and
cruising.
Hopfully he or someone will pass on this listener's thoughts. He just
needs a bit of guidance now hes made it to the big show.

I wonder how he got that gig though......... got to give him a high
five for self promotion Just remember the moto: If you say somthing l
o n g enough and loud enough people will beive anything (duration &
primacy effect).
Bob

On May 18, 6:20*pm, Bob wrote:

I wonder how he got that gig though......... got to give him a high
five for self promotion

*Just remember the moto: If you say somthing l
o n g enough and loud enough people will beive anything (duration &
primacy effect).
Bob

Bob,

Fatty got the gig because he, unlike you is a real person who sails
on real water in a real boat and he uses his real name.
Why you ask? Because he is not ashamed of all he writes.

The motto you suggested above and live by seems to be standard
operating procedure for you and Nealbur. You both keep saying you know
something about sailing, but the only facts and skills you show or
suggest relate to bad backs and some obsolete diving class you took 40
years ago.

Fred

"Bob" wrote in message
For those who support National Public Radio (NPR) you can hear Fatty
Goodlander describe cruising for 48 years. Just heard the first of
several interviews this morning.

Fatty is a good writer and I've enjoyed reading his articles in that
layman's cruising rag. He comes across as sort of an inept buffoon at times
but he's an accomplished sailor. He's smart enought to realize who his
audience is and he dumbs down his writings to appeal to the typical hard
core magazine article reader/wannabe sailor who believe his every word. Like
the late Tristan Jones much of what Fatty writes must be taken with a grain
of salt.

In some ways Fatty reminds me of Skip Gundlach or rather Skippy reminds me
of Fatty. The biggest difference is Fatty talks down his skill and
successful exploits while Skippy talks up his amateur, bumbling boondoggles.
Opposite ends of the spectrum but both have their camp followers. Those of
us who are accomplished blue water sailors look with respect upon Fatty (and
his seafaring and compliant wife) while we look at Skippy and Sylvia (who
actually runs the show) and have a good chuckle.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

Fatty is a good writer and I've enjoyed reading his articles in that
layman's cruising rag.

Why is he called fatty? He looks flabby but not obese in the pix I see
of him.

Do you know?