BoatBanter.com

-   -   Best 34 foot blue water cruiser (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/9455-best-34-foot-blue-water-cruiser.html)

JAXAshby March 25th 04 12:00 AM

No Flame War here

I couldn't find the Gulf Stream.

did find it, as a matter of fact.

let me help you out on this one. this is a week ago today:

http://www.deos.tudelft.nl/altim/gulfstream/#07

Jeff Morris March 25th 04 12:40 AM

No Flame War here

You buy paper towels that have a centerfold? I'm sure that concept appeals to
you, jaxie.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
"I had sex with a Playboy bunny.

centerfold. also a centerfold from Viva

rhys March 25th 04 03:55 AM

Flame War here?

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner...yes, it's the Jesuit-trained
sailor Frank "The Jurist" Maier....G

On 24 Mar 2004 13:55:27 -0800, (Frank Maier) wrote:

Every time Jax opens his mouth, he's as fallacious as a rapper's
chickenhead is fellatious.

That will haunt me for a long time, that will.

Jere Lull March 25th 04 05:03 AM

Best 34 foot blue water cruiser

In article ,
(JAXAshby) wrote:

wayne, I personally know a guy who believes it is foolish to sail in winds
above 20 knots.

Some people, sailing in 20 knot winds, ARE foolish -- and dangerous.

(nothing personal to anyone, I'm thinking of some in the BVI)

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages:

Wayne.B March 25th 04 02:32 PM

Best 34 foot blue water cruiser

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 08:09:55 GMT, (Remco
Moedt) wrote:
On 23 Mar 2004 19:35:47 GMT,
(JAXAshby) wrote:

wayne, I personally know a guy who believes it is foolish to sail in winds
above 20 knots.

Well, it is....It's also foolish to bungee jump, use the black slope
while skiing or drive 150 Mph with a motorbike....

======================================

20 kt winds are par for the course in some locales and are frequently
encountered offshore, sometimes for days at a time. No big problem
for the right boat and the right crew, but I can tell you from
personal experience that going to weather in 20 kts gets real old and
tiresome after a few days in any boat I've sailed that was under 50
feet long.

Carl Herzog March 25th 04 03:54 PM

"Wayne.B" wrote:
I can tell you from
personal experience that going to weather in 20 kts gets real old and
tiresome after a few days in any boat I've sailed that was under 50
feet long.

Or over 50 feet. Spent nine days this fall beating into 20 knots from the DR
to BVI on a 120' schooner. That wore everybody down.

Carl

Rosalie B. March 25th 04 04:30 PM

Best 34 foot blue water cruiser

x-no-archive:yes Wayne.B wrote:

On 22 Mar 2004 19:48:15 GMT, (JAXAshby) wrote:

The myth of 200 mile days as typical is just a myth.

I have sailed more 200 mile days than I can remember but for the most
part they were on large, well equipped racing boats over 40 feet. All
you need is a day of good reaching conditions where you can average a
bit over 8 knots. Not that difficult on a good boat, you just need
the right conditions.

At the risk of creating consternation, I do not believe that a 200
mile day is a myth, assuming we are talking about a 24 hour day. We
did 168 nm in a day and we were only motor sailing in a slow old
sailboat. If we'd had any appreciable wind and hadn't had to struggle
in the inlet against a lot of current we'd have done it quicker.

grandma Rosalie

Frank Maier March 25th 04 06:33 PM

Flame War here?

rhys wrote:
...snip... it's the Jesuit-trained
sailor Frank "The Jurist" Maier....G

Hey! I'm always glad to get some use out of that expensive education!
All those Latin and Greek classes didn't do me much good in the job
market. grin

Every time Jax opens his mouth, he's as fallacious as a rapper's
chickenhead is fellatious.

That will haunt me for a long time, that will.

Took me a while to come up with that one; glad you appreciated it.
Maybe it'll open a market for a new kind of bobble-head doll?

Nah! Let's not go there...

Frank Maier March 25th 04 06:37 PM

Flame War here?

(JAXAshby) wrote:
and frank gladly shows one and all that he is not really, really, really,
really dumb by being really, really, really, really dumb (note the incorrect
usage of the word "transference" he just today found in the dictionary).

....snip...
Well, I guess a
psychologist might wanna call that one "transference" or something.
It's the Gulf Stream's fault, not mine.

I freely admit that you probably have more experience with
psychiattrists than I. I was just guessing. Please enlighten us with
the appropriate term. What does your shrink call it when he tells you
that you tend to blame others for your own problems?

Frank Maier March 25th 04 06:42 PM

Jere Lull wrote:
(JAXAshby) wrote:

wayne, I personally know a guy who believes it is foolish to sail in winds
above 20 knots.

Some people, sailing in 20 knot winds, ARE foolish -- and dangerous.
(nothing personal to anyone, I'm thinking of some in the BVI)

Oh, yeah! The charter companies all threaten to send a training
captain with you if they're unhappy with your skills; but it sure
seems like they just hand the keys over to anyone nowadays without
ever seeing if they can actually sail the boat.