BoatBanter.com

-   -   Best 34 foot blue water cruiser (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/9455-best-34-foot-blue-water-cruiser.html)

JAXAshby March 23rd 04 01:17 AM

Best 34 foot blue water cruiser

You drifted for 6 hours???

it is difficult to sail once the hired captain has lowered and tied down the
sails.

It is difficult to motor once the hired captain has turned off the engine.

Shen44 March 23rd 04 01:30 AM

Best 34 foot blue water cruiser

Subject: Best 34 foot blue water cruiser
From: (JAXAshby)

Jax, you were nothing but signed on baggage/muscle. If this guy was REALLY a
"career merchant marine" with some type of deck license, YOU would be the LAST
person he would confer with about his position.
Your, or I should say his, problem had nothing to do with the accuracy of the
charts (especially considering the number of GPS's, onboard) .... it had
EVERYTHING to do with NOT knowing where you were and where you were going.
Obviously, you've never learned ..... on boats or ships, people like you (no
knowledge, no experience, no ability) are meant to be used ..... not heard
(exceptions noted .... you don't qualify).

Shen

yup, me AND the career merchant marine, both lost. Or more accurately,
neither
he nor I completely trusted the charts to be completely accurate. That's the
same as being lost, I guess.

Major oz March 23rd 04 02:09 AM

Best 34 foot blue water cruiser

Hi folks

I have little experience at sea. I have raced SJ28's in Puget Sound for about
eight years, and have island hopped in Palau and Micronesia.

My direct knowledge is, therefore, limited.

I enjoy lurking here, as it is quite educational, and contributes, in many
ways, to my fantasies and "someday's".

I cant, understand, however, what you all have against the person signing in as
JAXAshby. Maybe I wasn't here when he raped someone's wife, but I have
considered his contributions as useful as most of the others I have read here.

Of course, I haven't the broad experience you all have and may be taken in.

In any case, I intend to lurk and learn.

cheers

oz

otnmbrd March 23rd 04 02:49 AM

Best 34 foot blue water cruiser

Two thoughts:
1. oz, you haven't been lurking all that long.
2. "You can fool some of the people, all of the time; all of the people,
some of the time........"

JAXAshby March 23rd 04 03:01 AM

Best 34 foot blue water cruiser

felton March 23rd 04 03:02 AM

Best 34 foot blue water cruiser

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:05:17 -0500, "Jeff Morris"
wrote:

You drifted for 6 hours???

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

....but it was only supposed to be a 3 hour cruise, a 3 hour cruise...

feel free to sing along:)

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
jeggies, why check the intake? For what purpose?

You drifted for 6 hours without checking the intake???
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

JAXAshby March 23rd 04 03:03 AM

Best 34 foot blue water cruiser

Of course, I haven't the broad experience you all have

actually, you have more experience than they do. You have been on a boat.

Gould 0738 March 23rd 04 03:53 AM

Best 34 foot blue water cruiser

Jax wrote:

dougies, don't be foolish. *you* are advocating taking a Nimrod offshore
with
your statement. yacht brokers, most of them, won't list a Nimrod they know
has
been taken offshore, for the boat doesn't usually pass survey upon sale.

Wo ho! :-)

Thanks for that one. It's spring time in the NW, and my gardening wife has been
nagging me to bring home several bags of steer manure. A statement that most
yacht brokers won't even list such and such a boat saves me the trouble. I
printed off about 50 copies of your post, ran them through the shredder, and
now have a miraculously fertile mulch that should produce fully ripened
tomatoes by mid-April.

As an ex yacht broker, (and still working on a daily basis with brokers,
surveyors, etc) I must absolutely disagree. No yacht broker who intends to
survive in the business will make a sight-unseen evaluation of a potential
listing, based solely upon whether the boat has been used under condition A or
condition B.

If a boat has been offshore and remains undamaged, the offshore experience is
unimportant. If the most prestigious trademark on the planet has a fractured
hull to deck joint, cracked bulkheads, etc etc etc as a result of offshore
abuse, the brand name won't save it.

Used boats must be evaluated on an individual basis. Relying too heavily on
stereotype and the dockside rumor mill sometimes results in a prospect's
failure to consider a well found boat that would be ideal for his or her
purposes. More often, it
causes a prospective buyer to gloss over survey exceptions and other warnings,
as, (after all), what could possibly be incurably wrong with a Brand X?

Bob Whitaker March 23rd 04 04:00 AM

Best 34 foot blue water cruiser

Hello Doug,

How are you doing? Nice to hear from you again. I had a fantastic
weekend, how about yourself? I came back to many interesting posts,
and amongst them I found yours:

Doug "The Fresh Toilet King" wrote:

kindergarten squabbling

Kindergarten? This is very amusing even if it's getting really
tiresome to correct your mistakes time after time. Here is the
evidence: I posted a question about sailing and you replied with
references to toilets. Now, who's the one reverting to Kindergarten
behavior? The evidence is there, Doug, indexed by Google for
posterity.

If you're repeating yourself, you're defeating yourself.

You are correct, I was repeating myself. Wasn't sure you had seen it
the first time around.

And it looks as though you are entertained by toilets.

That is very funny Doug... Now it is you who are repeating yourself,
thus you have just defeated yourself by your own yardstick :)

Tell us again why you're interested in sailing?

Well, since you ask, it's hard to say exactly, something about the
books I read as a kid and the fact that I've been close to sailboats
all my life. There's many reasons why I am interested in sailing,
Doug, but instead of elaborating, can you please tell us again why
_YOU_ are interested in being rude to other group members? Even if
it's "mildly" rude as you admitted yourself? I know that most
newsgroups have a few insecure individuals who try to bolster their
weak egos by trying to belittle others. That may not be your case, but
I am really curious. Can you please elaborate on your true motivation?

By the way, I will repeat myself once more so pay close attention. I
will assume that overall you are a decent human being. I will assume
you regret your snotty opening post. I will assume that you have
learned your lesson. I will assume your rude behavior was a knee jerk
reaction, brought about by years of infighting on Usenet. Furthermore
I will assume that this newsgroup is now a slightly better place
because you will be a little less likely to be rude to strangers in
the future. I have done my part. I called your bluff and so far you
have shown a pretty weak hand.

Consider the wonderful information being shared by members such as
Frank and Wayne to name a few. That is the true spirit of Usenet
coming forth. Many thanks to them and the rest.

Bob Whitaker

P.S. What do you think of cutter vs sloop vs ketch rigs? I'm going to
ask Frank this same question, but I welcome participation from all.
Also, nice pictures of you and your wife flying the spinnaker on the
Jn-18. And by the way, I'm still curious about what you think of Cape
Dorys.

DSK wrote in message t...
Bob Whitaker wrote:
... Soundly
defeating you at your own game is rather entertaining if not very
challenging.

If you're repeating yourself, you're defeating yourself.

And it looks as though you are entertained by toilets.

Tell us again why you're interested in sailing? It seems to take a back
seat to kindergarten squabbling.

DSK