Default Miami to BVI

"BeeRich" wrote in message
On May 5, 4:10 pm, "Don White" wrote:

I've got a buddy in the BVi who does deliveries. Might be a good idea to
hire a 'professional captain' if this is your first time.

Wrong again, sunshine.

You don't think it's a good idea to have someone along who has experience
sailing this area... or you don't want to pay for their expertice?

You know, Wilbur, I haven't posted very often on this forum, but I
have read a good many of the posts. If the number of miles you have
sailed equalled even half the number of negative posts that you have
posted, you might have a tad of credibility. I am sick of reading
your foolish trash. To respond to your ridiculous question, no it
doesn't tell me anyting about my personal odds for success. The fact
is that of those who sail in the Caribbean during hurricane season,
only a minority encounter any problems. As a matter of fact, I have
sailed in the Caribbean during hurrican season and intend to do so
again this year. The pontifications of armchair sailors like yourself
do not contribute anything to the discussion.

On May 5, 4:06*pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Peter" wrote in message

Needless to say, your insurance company will either charge an arm and
a leg to endorse your your boat or will cancel entirely.

And, why do you think that is? Doesn't it tell you something about the odds
of success?

And even if one does succeed, is slogging 1200 miles (probably about double
that considering it's all a beat) to weather really sailing when one can
travel half again that far and do it comfortably and in a much shorter time
via the sailors route I suggested? What has "sailing" come to these days
when people totally disregard the sailing routes? Do they rely that much on
their oversized motors? It just shows they aren't interested in sailing,
have no concept of sailing and are uninformed dolts giving sailing a bad
name.

Wilbur Hubbard

On May 5, 5:09*pm, BeeRich wrote:
On May 5, 5:06*pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message

Needless to say, your insurance company will either charge an arm and
a leg to endorse your your boat or will cancel entirely.

And, why do you think that is? Doesn't it tell you something about the odds
of success?

And even if one does succeed, is slogging 1200 miles (probably about double
that considering it's all a beat) to weather really sailing when one can
travel half again that far and do it comfortably and in a much shorter time
via the sailors route I suggested? What has "sailing" come to these days
when people totally disregard the sailing routes? Do they rely that much on
their oversized motors? It just shows they aren't interested in sailing,
have no concept of sailing and are uninformed dolts giving sailing a bad
name.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wow you really are misguided. *How about this for an answer: *Their
itinerary dictates that they have a destination first, THEN carry on
with fun sailing. *And yes, today's boats allow for tacking, not
worldwide adventure routes. *Sailing has come to whatever people want
sailing to be. *And motorboats are a very valid way of boating. *It's
pompous boneheads like you that insult others that give sailing a bad
name.- Hide quoted text -

"BeeRich" wrote in message
On May 5, 6:10 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
That's a poor reason for making sailing plans offshore. This methodology
can
easily result in loss of life, boat, or both. Sure, people do all sorts of
things, but that's not a valid reason for someone else doing it. If you
decide to go anyway, you have to be doubly cautious about finding the
right
weather window. You're also going to have insurance coverage issues.

No it was a beginning. Not knowing when the hurricane season is, and
how strong it is predicted to be this year, is indeed a beginning.
Other things in our lives are taking precedence, which have lead us to
this point in time. And yes, sailing does take less priority over the
health of our families. So we just conveniently found ourselves at
this time. If it's packed with hurricanes, then we delay the launch,
that's all.

That's good to know! Nothing wrong with a strawman proposal...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Mon, 5 May 2008 14:56:01 -0700 (PDT), BeeRich
wrote:

Part of this thread is about finding a time for such a route. If it
means waiting, then so be it. I look forward to finding that book, if
I decide to do this.

By all means, read the book and then re-read it a few times. Get a
set of charts and follow aong with the book as you evaluate different
routes.

One more piece of advice: Don't even think about going during
hurricane season. Once you get out there, there is no place to hide,
and once you get there, there is no place to hide. Bad idea.

On 2008-05-05 14:18:12 -0400, "Gregory Hall" said:

What? Are you daft? That's a stupid thing to do. You're talking about the
busiest part of the Atlantic hurricane season. You obviously haven't a
clue. Stay home or take a cruise ship. You obviously aren't qualified to be
out there sailing a small boat.

I find this to be over the top.

The BVI experience fewer storms than Long Island, yet few will warn
against sailing in LIS in season.

As long as the OP pays attention to local weather, they'll be just fine.

--
Jere Lull

On Tue, 06 May 2008 11:31:50 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

As long as the OP pays attention to local weather, they'll be just fine.

Bad advice Jere. LIS experiences very few hurricanes, about the same
frequency as the Chesapeake. The area in question by our intrepid
cruise planner experiences multiple hurricanes every season. He is
talking about sailing hundreds of miles off shore in a sailboat with
no time or opportunity to seek shelter.

Bob Bob is offline

On 2008-05-05 14:18:12 -0400, "Gregory Hall" said:

What? Are you daft? That's a stupid thing to do. You're talking about the
busiest part of the Atlantic hurricane season. *You obviously haven't a
clue. Stay home or take a cruise ship. You obviously aren't qualified to be
out there sailing a small boat.

Good advice ! Although Ive never sailed that area. My experince is
limitted to the Pacific and GOM on OSVs but that dont count.

I find this to be over the top.

Hmm not really

The BVI experience fewer storms than Long Island, yet few will warn
against sailing in LIS in season.

Thats because your sailing in the shallow end of the pool. try the
deep end. diffrent rules there.

As long as the OP pays attention to local weather, they'll be just fine.
Jere Lull

Now this has got to be chissled on the Head Stone. When I was learning
how to fly on the Oregon coast at age 15 and soloed on my 16th
birthday (using Rogers shamless self promotion) the old guys used a
term to describe a typicall weather pattern. they called it a:
SUCKER HOLE. That nice bit of weather inbetwen fronts that would close
in behind ya with NO place to go.
Same thing happens to small boats that can not handle Small Craft
Warnings OR inexperinced/incappable operators. "...Oh, the weather
report looks nice for the next 3 days..." and out they.

I recomend continuing your BAY sailing....................
Bob

"Peter" wrote in message
You know, Wilbur, I haven't posted very often on this forum, but I
have read a good many of the posts. If the number of miles you have
sailed equalled even half the number of negative posts that you have
posted, you might have a tad of credibility. I am sick of reading
your foolish trash. To respond to your ridiculous question, no it
doesn't tell me anyting about my personal odds for success. The fact
is that of those who sail in the Caribbean during hurricane season,
only a minority encounter any problems. As a matter of fact, I have
sailed in the Caribbean during hurrican season and intend to do so
again this year. The pontifications of armchair sailors like yourself
do not contribute anything to the discussion.

And therein lies the difference between you and me and ReeBitch.

1) You apparently have some offshore sailing experience in the area in
question. ReeBitch has none.

2) You apparently have some awareness of the danger of tropical storms and
the time of the year of hurricane season. ReeBitch wasn't even aware of
hurricane season and the frequency of hurricanes during peak months of that
season.

3) You are somewhat seasoned while ReeBitch has never sailed offshore. Lake
sailor at best.

4) You probably have a seaworthy vessel. ReeBitch has a small Hunter or
similar cheap, coastal only boat.

5) You don't sail on a schedule since you're experienced enough to know it
doesn't work. ReeBitch's main planning point is to schedule around a land
based itinerary.

6) I've been cruising and have lived aboard since 1985. I have more time and
miles aboard my boat than the combined total of so-called sailors in this
group. I know of which I speak. I have experienced aboard my yacht more
hurricanes than the lot of you put together. (Try a total of 28 tropical
storms and hurricanes each and every one with no or minor damage - and none
of them offshore where I would have died).

Unlike ReeBitch I have a very good grasp of the time and distances of what
might look like a hop, skip and a jump such as from Miami to BVI. I know it
is anything but. Many lubbers like ReeBitch have a lubbers idea of distance.
They judge distances by how far they can drive in a day. "Why," they yammer,
"1200 miles ain't nothing. That's only two days driving." Little do they
realize that against wind and current they will be lucky to cover 50 miles
toward their destination in a 24 hour period. That turns a 1200 mile sailing
trip into a 24 day ordeal and that's if the boat doesn't break which it
likely will. Offshore voyagers rarely subject their vessels to such abuse
and their vessels are probably ten times as stout as some Hunter type.

And if they stop and wait for "weather windows" that don't occur during the
time of the year they wish to travel their 24 day ordeal will likely turn
into a six month debacle. There are very few weather windows in the Trades
in the summer. About the only thing that turns the prevailing winds is a
hurricane. Do you "work" hurricanes? Do you suggest others try it? I doubt
it.

So try to consider that ReeBitch is a rank, ignorant, novice who is totally
clueless when it comes to offshore voyaging. You've heard the sad saga of
the captain and crew of the "Red Cloud" no doubt. The captain had years of
offshore experience or so he claimed. But, he was done in by a little ole
cold front in the Gulf of Mexico that had sustained winds of only 45-50 or
so knots. And you think lamers like ReeBitch have any chance of success at
all voyaging hundreds of miles offshore at the height of hurricane season in
a flimsy Hunter? Why do you encourage such irresponsible behavior?

Wilbur Hubbard

Miami to Bahama Don Dando General 0 February 10th 07 03:20 AM
Miami to Antilles wblakesx Cruising 1 September 30th 05 01:16 AM
Anchoring in Miami [email protected] Cruising 4 July 18th 05 09:47 PM
SAILING MIAMI Josh General 1 December 17th 04 09:25 PM
Chicago to Miami Mike Cruising 5 September 26th 03 03:00 PM