Default Anchoring in Miami

can anyone bring us upto date on anchoring in miami. the city was to
vote on banning anchoring and the installation of mooring balls. would
appreciate it if someone could up date the cruising community. cheers
colin.
Armond Perretta

duink wrote:
wrote:
can anyone bring us upto date on anchoring in miami. the city was to
vote on banning anchoring and the installation of mooring balls.
would appreciate it if someone could up date the cruising community.
cheers colin.

On May 18, the law was passed to allow only seven days anchoring in
Miami. See the following link for a map of the area affected,
updates, and complete wording of the law.

http://www.southwindssailing.com/res...rordinance.htm

I tried reading the map at the url listed, but frankly ran out of patience.
Although it's been a while since I visited, we were able to anchor at the
Miami "Bowl" (not exactly sure of the name, but it's some sort of marine
stadium). No problem, if you don't mind jet skis. Simplest is to head
south of Miami where you will usually find several quieter and safer spots.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Rosalie B.

"Armond Perretta" wrote:

duink wrote:
wrote:
can anyone bring us upto date on anchoring in miami. the city was to
vote on banning anchoring and the installation of mooring balls.
would appreciate it if someone could up date the cruising community.
cheers colin.

On May 18, the law was passed to allow only seven days anchoring in
Miami. See the following link for a map of the area affected,
updates, and complete wording of the law.

http://www.southwindssailing.com/res...rordinance.htm

I tried reading the map at the url listed, but frankly ran out of patience.
Although it's been a while since I visited, we were able to anchor at the
Miami "Bowl" (not exactly sure of the name, but it's some sort of marine
stadium). No problem, if you don't mind jet skis. Simplest is to head
south of Miami where you will usually find several quieter and safer spots.

It's the old Marine Stadium north of Virginia Key and just north of
the Rickenbacker Causeway. (25.44.79N 080.10.20) Note - you should
go almost all the way to the Causeway and then turn east before yo
come back north to enter the 'stadium' because there's a shallow spot
between the ICW and the stadium.

But both there and the moorings at Rickenbacker Marina are hard to get
to anyplace (like a grocery store) from. There just aren't any stores
nearby. Dinghy landing is forbidden in the Marine Stadium and
Rickenbacker has a crappy dinghy dock (full of mangrove roots) and
they have locks on the gates that are for both directions (i.e. you
have to unlock the gate to get out as well as into the marina). There
is a guard but when we were there he spoke only Spanish..

Crandon Park has very little in the way of facilities for transients.
(25.43.5N 080.49.3W is the gas dock). You might be able to find a
place to anchor near Crandon Park outside the channel of Bear Cut.

People used to anchor at Dinner Key, but I understand that more
moorings are going in there and they are going to restrict anchoring
there too. A bunch of the Miami/Dade marinas forbid liveaboards
altogether. Miamarina has no fuel, and the pumpout didn't work when
we were there.

You can also go to No Name Harbor at Bill Baggs State Park (Key
Biscayne 25.40.6N 080.09.5W), but that's not quite free although it is
on the honor system. There is a city bus that goes along Virginia Key
and Key Biscayne, but I've never used it and I'm not sure if it goes
into the park. Plus you cannot get back in to the park after the
gates close at about 5 pm.

When we come in from offshore, we customarily anchor south of the
Rickenbacker Causeway on the south side of Virginia Key (which is west
of Key Biscayne), but that is also frowned on, although I don't think
it is illegal... yet.

And of course there is Hurricane Hole (25.41.21N 080.10.4 W) although
I've never been in there, and we anchored east of the ICW MM 1095
(west of Key Biscayne 25.41.6N 080.10.9W) one night, and it worked
very well - i.e. good holding and good protection from the N, E, and
S, but again - no place to go in to shore and get supplies.
..

grandma Rosalie
krj

The no anchor ordinance is only Miami Beach. NOT Miami or Key Biscayne.
It doesn't apply to the Sea Aquarium area, Nixon's harbor or No Name Harbor
krj

Armond Perretta wrote:
duink wrote:

wrote:

can anyone bring us upto date on anchoring in miami. the city was to
vote on banning anchoring and the installation of mooring balls.
would appreciate it if someone could up date the cruising community.
cheers colin.

On May 18, the law was passed to allow only seven days anchoring in
Miami. See the following link for a map of the area affected,
updates, and complete wording of the law.

http://www.southwindssailing.com/res...rordinance.htm

I tried reading the map at the url listed, but frankly ran out of patience.
Although it's been a while since I visited, we were able to anchor at the
Miami "Bowl" (not exactly sure of the name, but it's some sort of marine
stadium). No problem, if you don't mind jet skis. Simplest is to head
south of Miami where you will usually find several quieter and safer spots.

Miami Beach 72-hour Anchoring Ordinance krj Cruising 14 May 2nd 05 05:55 PM
anchoring Miami Beach jim Cruising 0 May 1st 05 05:17 PM
Fears are new bridge may imperil Little Miami status Garrison Hilliard General 0 April 28th 05 12:03 AM
MIAMI BOAT SHOW TICKETS BoatMan General 0 February 3rd 05 04:13 PM
marathon boot key harbour anchoring [email protected] Cruising 2 August 15th 03 09:39 AM