Bob Bob is offline

Default Do old, retired cruisers have any valid input???

On Apr 17, 7:15*am, "Bill Kearney" wrote:

Oh that's rich. *Either a sock-puppet account or yet another lunatic.

Good, hurry up with that plan.

To Bill Kearney:

So Im having a conversation with another poster here, you bust in and
call me a "...sock-puppet... lunatic..." and tell me that I should die
as soon as possible.

So why do yo feel so compelled to butt into someone else's
conversation and make thoes comments?
I suppose I should get all ****y and start a name calling thread but I
think not. But darn, your comments certainly reflect loudly your
personality.

BTW what is a sock puppet? About the only place Ive ever heard that
expression is here.
Bob

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:43:14 -0700, Bob wrote:

BTW what is a sock puppet?

sigh....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet_%28Internet%29

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:43:14 -0700, Bob wrote:

BTW what is a sock puppet? About the only place Ive ever heard that
expression is here.
Bob

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_sock_puppet
Bob Bob is offline

On Apr 18, 10:48*am, wrote:
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:43:14 -0700, Bob wrote:
BTW what is a sock puppet? About the only place Ive ever heard that
expression is here.
Bob

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_sock_puppet

Thanks guys.. I wondered about that since I started reading here. I
figured it was one of thoese cutie names like everybody used in the
70s when CB radios were all the rage. Hey, mabe we could all meet at
Denny's or IHOP sit for hours and talk CB/ internet talk to each other
like a bunch of old hens. Now that really sounds like yachting!

Personally Ill stick with words that more common people use:
pseudonym
alias
nom de plume
AKA

Besides whats wrong with using another name to post? Or does it offend
the etiquette police? ie, Roger and his followers.
Bob

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:51:41 -0700 (PDT), Bob
wrote:

On Apr 18, 10:48*am, wrote:
[...]

I think that you've missed the point. A sock puppet is a false
identity, to be true, but a false identity which supports the
assertions of the original, or "master" identity.

For example, lets say that "Bob" makes the assertion that the world is
flat. Immediately Joe, Gus and Willey jump in and tell Bob he is full
of it and doesn't have a clue.

But Bob, not wanting to be seen as an idiot, and wanting to win the
"argument" then creates a number of other Internet Identities, lets
call them, Sally, Joan and Judy who suddenly appear in support of Bob
and argue fiercely that Bob IS a Handsome Stud who knows what he is
Doing and if he says the world is a flat place then it must be. After
all, he didn't fall off the dance floor last night when he was doing
the tango, "and the earth moved!". Sally, Joan and Judy are sock
puppets.

Of course it gets even more complicated when the original poster is a
Sock Puppet and after being totally discredited creates a clone puppet
who both carries on the disjointed arguments but also defends the
original Sock Puppet. And of course both the original and secondary
sock puppets may well have created supplemental puppets who supported
themselves.

There was a poster on another group who, with a multitude of sock
puppets, became almost the only poster on the group.

Using a pseudonym is a somewhat different proposition and I think that
most people accept this if it is a "real" identity and if that
identity doesn't change because the writer takes a little flack for
being a total idiot. for example, my own identity "Bruce in Bangkok"
is my own name, I do live in Bangkok and my email address is correct.
If you send an email to that address I will answer.

But if you use a alias like Willard J. Wonderful and your email
address is shown as ere you probably
will be thought of as some sort of idiot.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

Bob Bob is offline

On Apr 18, 5:15*pm, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)- Hide quoted text -

Oh, I ahd no idea it was that complicated.

thanks

Bob

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 08:15:39 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

But if you use a alias like Willard J. Wonderful and your email
address is shown as ere you probably
will be thought of as some sort of idiot.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

Hi Bruce,

Do you get much mail at this address? I wonder if an email handle like
that would work for me.

cheers
Peter

So Im having a conversation with another poster here, you bust in and
call me a "...sock-puppet... lunatic..." and tell me that I should die
as soon as possible.

Well, at least your reading comprehension skills seem adequate.

So why do yo feel so compelled to butt into someone else's
conversation and make thoes comments?

Gee, someone chiming in, repeated, in support of a known troll, imagine how
that's not viewed with any respect...

I suppose I should get all ****y and start a name calling thread

You could try, but who'd give a ****? Certainly not me.

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 09:07:33 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

Hi Bruce,

Do you get much mail at this address? I wonder if an email handle like
that would work for me.

cheers
Peter

If you mean the Pimpworld address I don't think it will work for you -
first you have to be young and handsome. Secondly you have to have a
name like Willard J. Wonderful and lastly you have to have a 68 ft.
boat with a hot tub.

Where are you? Hanging out in some marina or anchored close in where
you can hijack somebody's unguarded WiFi net?

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

Hi Bruce,
I'm going to change my name and have a face lift. Thank's for the
advice.

I'm still at Seru Boca marina in Curacao as a paying customer this
time, as I left Herodotus here when I went back home - the main use
for me of marinas http://www.santabarbararesort.com/09.html If you
click on the photos you should be able to see me waving at 1200 zulu
tomorrow.

It's part of a huge development that will eventually include high
value estate housing, a golf course and a Hyatt Regency hotel -
hopefully by that time I shall be long gone. Price is reasonable
compared with Trinidad - $US252 per month plus power and water - all
water here is produced by desalination of sea water.

Since emailing you I was about to leave but since there is at least a
4 week wait for the Panama canal, decided that I would have to go like
the proverbial clappers (archaic English term still in useage in the
antipodean ex-colonies) to reach home before the cyclone season. Thus
decided to leave Herodotus here and return to Malaysia and Sydney
until about September. flight is booked out - Curacao, Miami, Dallas,
Honolulu and thence Sydney and a couple of weeks later, KL.

As well as allowing me time to get into the Pacific early and be able
to see the sights, I shall be also able to make a side journey to
Cartagena, Colombia to be mugged, drugged, raped and murdered. I'm
looking forward to it. If the bloody Americans didn't provide such a
huge ready market for cocaine, the country might be safer to visit -
still that's the new global economy in action. who am I to question
it? I only learned Keynsian economics at university - long
discredited.

How's the boat project coming along?

cheers, and regards to your wife.
Asalaam,