Steve

Default To Canada without a valid (current) passport?

Starting to look at things that need to be done before cruising up The
Inside Passage to Alaska this summer.

I just checked my passport and find that it expires next month.. As I
understand it, I don't have to have a valid passport to go into Canada, etc.
However, with the current border security, would it be worth the $150 to
have my passport renewed??

Also, how long does it now take to renew a current passport??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Fmc

You can complete most of your homework by going to travel.state.gov and the
cost is somewhat less than $150.

Fmc

You can complete most of your homework by going to travel.state.gov and the
cost is somewhat less than $150.

Steve

cost is somewhat less than $150.

It appears that the 10 yr passport is $115 while the shorter term (not
clear, suspect 4 yr) is $55..

I'd like to do this once and for all (67yo) and get another 10 yr passport
but I don't want to bother with it right now if it's not required to enter
and leave Canada this summer..

(maybe, the truth be known, I have a 10 yr passport sitting here on my desk,
that has never left the country and expires next month, while several old
passports I have here are full of stamps from cover to cover.. Somebody
needs to get moving!!)

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

JAXAshby

Starting to look at things that need to be done before cruising up The
Inside Passage to Alaska this summer.

I might want to check, but I believe the Canadian government wants you to carry
a large bore rifle when you travel that passage (for protection from bear
should you go ashore). I do know that in the past (and likely still) they did
in fact require a large bore (not pistol, not small bore) rifle for fliers of
small aircraft over that route.

Charles T. Low

The world has changed everywhere. Canadians also don't need a passport to
enter the U.S., but everyone I know takes one.

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com/BDPhoto.html - Photo Contest
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

====

"Steve" wrote in message
Starting to look at things that need to be done before cruising up The
Inside Passage to Alaska this summer.

I just checked my passport and find that it expires next month.. As I
understand it, I don't have to have a valid passport to go into Canada,

etc.
However, with the current border security, would it be worth the $150 to
have my passport renewed??

Also, how long does it now take to renew a current passport??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Larry W4CSC

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:08:25 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

cost is somewhat less than $150.

It appears that the 10 yr passport is $115 while the shorter term (not
clear, suspect 4 yr) is $55..

I'd like to do this once and for all (67yo) and get another 10 yr passport
but I don't want to bother with it right now if it's not required to enter
and leave Canada this summer..

(maybe, the truth be known, I have a 10 yr passport sitting here on my desk,
that has never left the country and expires next month, while several old
passports I have here are full of stamps from cover to cover.. Somebody
needs to get moving!!)

I found my old passport from the late 1970's with my 4-year,
multiple-entry, gratis visa from Iran. There's lots of stamps in that
book, except for the trip to Israel, who understands its implications.
I guess the new government wouldn't be interested in giving me another
one, like the Shahanshah's government was. They made me turn in my
Doshen-Tappeh IAFB security badge with only one area stamped out I
couldn't get into, the crypto vault. It had Farsi numbers around the
outside and they punched out any security areas you were not allowed
to enter. The fewer punches, the higher your status symbol....(c;

I'd go back to Iran to live, again, in a heartbeat, if they were
friendly again. What a beautiful place, mostly unspoiled in 5000
years by a human footprint. Ibex (mountain sheep) hunting with an
M-16 on the Shah's private game preserve was great hunting, too.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Larry W4CSC

No, no, Scotty! I said, "Beam me a wrench.", not a WENCH!
Kirk Out.....

FS: some cheap boats in Ontario, Canada news General 0 July 11th 04 05:41 PM
FS: some cheap boats in Ontario, Canada news General 0 July 5th 04 02:03 PM
Battery Meter Ernie General 79 May 25th 04 12:36 AM
Canada has WMD's, Bush: Attack Soon! Norbert Poser General 7 February 5th 04 08:34 AM
How to get a US documented boat registered in Canada or BC ? Jason Cruising 6 January 26th 04 05:52 PM