Default sailboat electric motor

I lost my bookmarks in an HD crash and can't recall the name of the
company. These guys are/were producing a serious electric aux. motor
that bolted to the underside of the hull just aft of a fin keel. Came in
both single and dual screw configs...Anyone seen/googled this recently?
I'm not getting any hits...

http://www.re-e-power.com

--

Woodsy,
Off the Grid, Off the Road, Off my Rocker...

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 19:30:46 -0400, Woodsy wrote:

http://www.re-e-power.com

that's the one...thank you very much

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:19:26 -0400, salty wrote:

http://www.re-e-power.com

They don't seem eager to reveal actual power or energy consumption. I
wonder why? The claim 300 amps peak, 170 amps continuous, and 30-50 amps
at "cruise speed". All meaningless because they also give a wide range
of operating voltages and don't say at what voltage all the other
ratings are measured.

yes, yes and yes...but it does look like a promising technology and one
that I'm actively considering...unless I have to stick a metric ton of
batteries under the cabin sole

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:43:45 -0500, mister b wrote:

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:19:26 -0400, salty wrote:

http://www.re-e-power.com

They don't seem eager to reveal actual power or energy consumption. I
wonder why? The claim 300 amps peak, 170 amps continuous, and 30-50 amps
at "cruise speed". All meaningless because they also give a wide range
of operating voltages and don't say at what voltage all the other
ratings are measured.

yes, yes and yes...but it does look like a promising technology and one
that I'm actively considering...unless I have to stick a metric ton of
batteries under the cabin sole

To draw down a steady 50 amps for any length of time you need a
battery bank of approximately 1,000 amp hours. To do that with 12
volts would generate less than 1 horsepower, so I'm guessing 48 volts
minimum. That's about 40 golf cart batteries at 60 pounds each plus a
whole lot of interconnects. That works out to over 2,400 lbs (1,100
kg), at a cost of over $2,500 USD.

wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:43:45 -0500, mister b wrote:

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:19:26 -0400, salty wrote:

http://www.re-e-power.com

They don't seem eager to reveal actual power or energy consumption. I
wonder why? The claim 300 amps peak, 170 amps continuous, and 30-50 amps
at "cruise speed". All meaningless because they also give a wide range
of operating voltages and don't say at what voltage all the other
ratings are measured.

yes, yes and yes...but it does look like a promising technology and one
that I'm actively considering...unless I have to stick a metric ton of
batteries under the cabin sole

Aye, there's the rub. I can see a setup such as the Glacier Bay
diesel/electric having some advantages over straight diesel
propulsion, but running just off of batteries isn't going to be very
practical for anything except short jaunts that involve returning to a
rather hefty land based charging system every few hours. Great for
local tour boats. Probably not so much for cruising situations.

According to the website, the cruise time varies between 2 and 10 hours. It
also said something about regeneration, but I can't seem to find it again.
That would extend the cruise time, perhaps indefinitely (sort of) depending
on efficiency of regeneration.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:04:04 -0400, salty wrote:

Is that the one from Glacier Bay?

http://www.ossapowerlite.com/

not quite...I guess serious is a relative term. This model was shaped
like the motor section of any submersible electric motor, but larger -
perhaps 2-2.5ft overall. The thrust ratings on these would be
appropriate for a smaller boat like mine (HR28) The one I was looking at
had a mount with two large bolts that would go up through the hull into
backing plates...I'm still hunting but not finding...