yihang bmc-unsw

Default inboard electric motor

came across this last night

http://www.ozecodrive.com/english/index_e.html

comes with everything u need except batteries. claims that sailing for
20 mins at 6 knots will charge the batteries enough for 5 minutes of
power sail.

all about 4500 including folding prop.

i read through the archives but nothing as complete as this was ever
discussed.

has anyone actually used these in real life? they seem like a great
alternative.
Pete C

On 9 Jul 2004 06:52:33 -0700, (yihang bmc-unsw)
wrote:

came across this last night

http://www.ozecodrive.com/english/index_e.html

comes with everything u need except batteries. claims that sailing for
20 mins at 6 knots will charge the batteries enough for 5 minutes of
power sail.

all about 4500 including folding prop.

i read through the archives but nothing as complete as this was ever
discussed.

has anyone actually used these in real life? they seem like a great
alternative.

Hi,

Looks like they are using a Lynch Motor:

http://www.lemcoltd.com

and a flex o fold prop:

http://www.flexofold.com/default.htm

There's also a good discussion of electric boat propulsion on the
Lemco site too:

http://www.lemcoltd.com/lmc_discussions.htm

The motor alone probably goes for around $1000 and the prop up to
$1500 tops.

It's also better to gear the prop down and if it's not a racing yacht
it might be a lot cheaper to have a fixed prop and let it free run
when not under power.

Also if you don't need so much power a 1.6Kw motor should be available
for $350.

cheers,
Pete.
rhys

How do these units compare to the Solomon Technologies motors, I
wonder....

R.

wrote:

[...]

yihang bmc-unsw

wrote:

[...]

hi

thanks for the feedback. I email the company about replacement
motors. i would actually prefer to just buy the system without the
motor and mount a brushless Etek myself. the old Eteks were only about
400 bucks each and the new ones are meant to have an output of 15hp
max and 8 hp continuous (these might be the equivalent of a diesela nd
not real figues), but i think the new motor is 5kw.

the other road might be to make the unit myself from parts. but im
having trottle finding the appropriate control units and recharge
units. Plus alot more research needs to be done. would be good if they
would sell me the control hardware seperately.

thanks
____m___~¿Ô___m____

yihang bmc-unsw wrote:

the other road might be to make the unit myself from parts. but im
having trottle finding the appropriate control units and recharge
units. Plus alot more research needs to be done. would be good if they
would sell me the control hardware seperately.

thanks

Google, golf cart parts

Golf carts use DC motors, solid state controls, and charging systems that
might adapt, if your interested in designing your own system.

Electric forklifts also use the same, and some can handle very high
amperage.

Batteries are the weak link in this.
--
_______m___õ¿~___m_________________________
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,

yihang bmc-unsw

____m___~¿Ô___m____ wrote in message . ..
yihang bmc-unsw wrote:

the other road might be to make the unit myself from parts. but im
having trottle finding the appropriate control units and recharge
units. Plus alot more research needs to be done. would be good if they
would sell me the control hardware seperately.

thanks

Google, golf cart parts

Golf carts use DC motors, solid state controls, and charging systems that
might adapt, if your interested in designing your own system.

Electric forklifts also use the same, and some can handle very high
amperage.

Batteries are the weak link in this.

they certainly are. but they should be sufficient if you only plan to
use the motor for anchoring or emergencies. i suppose in these
situations you only needs short bursts of 'reliable' power, which
electric drives are suppose to provide. this particular manufacture
claims 100% output in 2 seconds.

wouldnt be practical for prolonged operations
Pete C

On 9 Jul 2004 18:05:04 -0700, (yihang bmc-unsw)
wrote:

hi

thanks for the feedback. I email the company about replacement
motors. i would actually prefer to just buy the system without the
motor and mount a brushless Etek myself. the old Eteks were only about
400 bucks each and the new ones are meant to have an output of 15hp
max and 8 hp continuous (these might be the equivalent of a diesela nd
not real figues), but i think the new motor is 5kw.

the other road might be to make the unit myself from parts. but im
having trottle finding the appropriate control units and recharge
units. Plus alot more research needs to be done. would be good if they
would sell me the control hardware seperately.

Hi,

Don't blame you, the Eteks are a LOT cheaper than the Lemco ones, and
seem to be a licensed design anyway.

Your best bet for a controller might be an EV parts supplier, eg:

http://www.evparts.com/firstpage.php

There's also a page about speed controllers he

http://homepages.which.net/~paul.hills/SpeedControl/SpeedControllersBody.html

For a sailboat there is a need for a system that works well for normal
cruising but is also capable of operating at a much higher power in
emergencies. Also heading into a strong wind might place a much higher
load on the motor even when the boat is at or below hull speed,
heading into a strong current might require the boat to be at or above
hull speed to make any progress.

cheers,
Pete.

yihang bmc-unsw

"Bill" wrote in message ...
BTW 0.75 KW = 1HP 5KW = 6.6 HP

Bill
"yihang bmc-unsw" wrote in message
om...

. ..
wrote:

[...]

yes. but electric engines are alot more efficient. i think the
actually torque output of a 5 hp electric motor is the equivalent of a
9hp diesel or more.

from people experience. a 6 kw motor at max rpm can produce something
approaching 15hp equivalent. its anecdotal though. but DIRECT driven
elec engines definately get more HP to the propeller
Parallax

"Bill" wrote in message ...
BTW 0.75 KW = 1HP 5KW = 6.6 HP

Bill
"yihang bmc-unsw" wrote in message
om...
Pete C wrote in message

. ..
On 9 Jul 2004 06:52:33 -0700,
(yihang bmc-unsw)
wrote:

[...]

I remember in "Run Silent, Run Deep", the sub motor could run with
batteries in either serial or parallel, not sure why. Serial would
give lots of Volts perhaps for lots of power whereas parallel would be
for extended cruise at low power. Could such a system be used here?