Pete C

Default inboard electric motor

On 9 Jul 2004 18:05:04 -0700, (yihang bmc-unsw)
wrote:

hi

thanks for the feedback. I email the company about replacement
motors. i would actually prefer to just buy the system without the
motor and mount a brushless Etek myself. the old Eteks were only about
400 bucks each and the new ones are meant to have an output of 15hp
max and 8 hp continuous (these might be the equivalent of a diesela nd
not real figues), but i think the new motor is 5kw.

the other road might be to make the unit myself from parts. but im
having trottle finding the appropriate control units and recharge
units. Plus alot more research needs to be done. would be good if they
would sell me the control hardware seperately.

Hi,

Don't blame you, the Eteks are a LOT cheaper than the Lemco ones, and
seem to be a licensed design anyway.

Your best bet for a controller might be an EV parts supplier, eg:

http://www.evparts.com/firstpage.php

There's also a page about speed controllers he

http://homepages.which.net/~paul.hills/SpeedControl/SpeedControllersBody.html

For a sailboat there is a need for a system that works well for normal
cruising but is also capable of operating at a much higher power in
emergencies. Also heading into a strong wind might place a much higher
load on the motor even when the boat is at or below hull speed,
heading into a strong current might require the boat to be at or above
hull speed to make any progress.

cheers,
Pete.