Default Defender Industries

On my return to Curacao from Australia a few weeks ago I ordered a
load of gear from Defender including an AIS unit and a Katadyn 80E
watermaker. As I spent a few days making up the order the quoted price
for the later was $3,299. By the time I had submitted it the price had
gone back up to $3,895. I phoned them and they agreed to let me have
it for the lower price. To my surprise I was charged on the invoice
for $2,943 - no taxes. Great i thought.

I also ordered and received a Sitex AIS receiver, a laser flare and a
Furono VHF splitter so that i could utilise the single VHF masthead
aerial. When I phoned Defender to enquire if the splitter would work
with the Sitex AIS, I was told, "I think so". Well, when it arrived it
was obvious that it vwas an internal component solely for a Furono VHF
radio and at $149, it was useless to me.

The Greatlakes brand laser flare was faulty and didn't work.

I phoned Defender's Customer Service and they requested that I ship
back the flare and the VHF splitter for which they would give a full
credit for the later and send a replacement for the former as well as
paying for the shipping costs both ways.

I am impressed. Excellent to deal with and great customer service.

BTW, the AIS has a small externally attached piezo alarm. I am
doubtful if it will awaken me if I am really asleep and may change it.
I'll find out between here and Panama.

I also bought another Davis brand radar reflector on the advice of a
ship's officer in San Francisco who said that a yacht so equipped lit
up well on their radar screen and thus I now have two at the
spreaders, one beneath the other. I'll try and get some feedback from
passing ships along the way.

Peter
N.Z. yacht Herodotus