Default Benefits of Shoal Draft

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 10:19:56 -0600, Paul Cassel

Over in the
Pacific, as Edgar posted about the Baltic, the issue is more finding a
place where you have enough rode to anchor. Several times I anchored
with a rode maybe 1.5x the depth but so much was out, that it sufficed.

Many Pacific boats have 2000 feet or so of wire on a winch.

Casady

Richard Casady wrote:

Many Pacific boats have 2000 feet or so of wire on a winch.

Casady

Very true! They're called long liners!
Gordon

wrote in message

"Edgar" wrote in message

Now that people have shown the benefits of a Shoal Draft, what are the
benefits of a longer draft say 6 - 7 feet?

It is nice on a windward beat in strong winds to power past other less well
ballasted boats sailing on their ears with reduced canvas.
Just make sure you have a crew that feels the same...

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 10:31:21 -0700, Gordon wrote:

Richard Casady wrote:

Many Pacific boats have 2000 feet or so of wire on a winch.

Casady

Very true! They're called long liners!

At one time I considered a cheap, the fish are gone, longliner. The
kind with 50 miles of 700 lb mono. About 1200 hooks. I figured that it
wouldn't make a bad cruiser as is. They go 10 knots for a month. They
put a 400 HP engine on a 100 footer, and cruise something like 6000
miles per trip. Time was when you could catch 40 tons of swordfish in
one trip. There is a movie about a long liner, THe boat, a 100
footer, in the movie that didn't sink, the Hannah Boden, was for sale
and I thought about making an offer, Like I said, the fish are gone. A
actual trawler yacht, of all things.

Casady

PhantMan wrote:
I especially like the fact that you don't have to jump overboard and
push when you run hard aground lol!
A swing keel can be a nice Depth Alarm when halfway down.

dougking wrote:
It's a Santana 23 with a 250# ballasted daggerboard. There is another
850# of lead in a slab along the bottom of the hull, where it is far
less effective as ballast. If I ever get the rest of the boat projects
done, I am thinking about building a new daggerboard with about a 600#
bulb that would increase righting moment and reduce dead weight.

The 23 seemed like a great design to me. I wish they'd built more of
them. They're perfect for my area but I seldom see one around here.
I'm no architect but your modification idea makes a lot of sense to
me.

Where we sail, there are lots of shoals & sandbars and being able to
just haul on the lifting tackle to get off is a great convenience.

Shoals and sandbars here too. Thats what I meant by my comment up top.
Running aground is never a worry even on a falling tide.
It's hard to even find pictures on the Web of a Santana 23 though. I
found yours but that was about it.

Rick

On 2008-04-13 06:35:00 -0400, "Roger Long" said:

In reality though, I like "Strider" so much that, if I won the lottery, I
probably would put her in a yard and have her redone soup to nuts and use
the balance of the cash for more extensive cruising and better meals and
side trips in port.

That's when you know a good boat chose you.

We got Xan to fulfill our expected cruising for 5 or so years. 15
seasons later, she still satisfies our 5-year expectations, and if we
decide not to go long-distance, she'll be just right at the end of our
retirement home's dock.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD