Default The differences

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:56:03 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

The last conservative president was the great Ronald Reagan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ5te...eature=related

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

On 2008-04-18 23:49:20 -0400, "Vito" said:

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote
They believe in growing government and spending spending spending. They
wish to accomplish this by raising taxes. Their method of balancing the
budget is to raise taxes until they have 90 percent of what people earn.

Gee whiz Wilber, RR, big daddy Bush and now Blundering Bush grew the
government far more than any Democrat since Roosevelt. Worse yet, they did
it by borrowing from countries like China. As a result 3/4 of our national
debt has been incurred by those three administrations. Now we pay more to
service that debt than JFK's first budget. Yes Clinton raised taxes but he
also held down spending and balanced the budget, the first president to do
that since Nixon, despite a borrow & spend Republican Congress.

The Congress determines spending. The President only executes their
orders. (Clinton's was mostly R; Bush's mostly D.) And Clinton had the
benefit of the .COM spike that falsely inflated value and revenue.

Not to mention that the debt is, what, half of its value of a few years
ago due to the devaluation of the dollar?

I'm saddened by those who think the federal debt is so incredibly bad,
though it's a small percentage of GDP (the nation's annual "income").
Most carry debt many times in excess of their income.

When friends get all in a lather on this subject, I simply ask them:
"Could you pay off all your debts tomorrow?" Most of them have negative
net worth, so couldn't even if they cashed everything in. They depend
upon future pay raises, future inflation, to eventually pay their debts
off.

--
Jere Lull

On 2008-04-18 23:49:20 -0400, "Vito" said:

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote
[...]

Huh? You should probably stick to sailing subjects...

The federal debt is over $9 Trillion dollars as of this year! Perhaps you're
talking about the federal deficit... which is running about $200 Billion a
year. We were on track during the Clinton administration to have a surplus
of over $5 Trillion. Even if that was wildly optimistic because of your
claim of a bubble in the economy, we still would have a surplus.

Not only that but the President *proposes* the budget. The Congress makes
the final decision through negotiation. Until recently, this was a
Republican Congress. BTW, the Iraq war is projected to cost between $3 and
$5 Trillion.

http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/faq.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...federal_budget

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On 2008-04-19 02:10:12 -0400, "Capt. JG" said:

Not only that but the President *proposes* the budget.

Is there much correlation between what he proposes and what emerges
from the Congress? (particularly after earmarks.)

Truth be told, a major part of either version is under-funded mandates
from previous administrations coming home to roost.

--
Jere Lull

On 2008-04-19 02:10:12 -0400, "Capt. JG" said:

Not only that but the President *proposes* the budget.

Is there much correlation between what he proposes and what emerges from
the Congress? (particularly after earmarks.)

Truth be told, a major part of either version is under-funded mandates
from previous administrations coming home to roost.

--
Jere Lull

There is if you have a "friendly" (same party) Congress... a good reason for
splitting at least half Rs and Ds in most years. Given the debacle of the
war and what Bush did, we need a course correction, which in my view means
all Ds. Earmarks, which seemingly bad things, aren't usually. They're
designed to promote local projects. Some are outrageous, but most have
value. It would be better if they were fully disclosed, which is what is not
required now.

You're basically right about underfunded mandates, but if we had a surplus,
we could get back to fixing roads, bridges, etc.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Garmin 298 vs 498 differences?? James Lerch Electronics 3 July 22nd 06 07:22 PM
Differences between models of Inazone? Ben General 3 June 25th 04 11:07 AM
Engine size differences Petey the Wonder Dog General 15 April 7th 04 02:27 AM
Radar differences beryl Electronics 0 September 18th 03 12:34 PM
What are the qualitity differences. Sea Ray-Regal Bryan General 23 August 6th 03 12:53 PM