Gould 0738

Default I've got water in my engine oil....

Nobody has mentioned the thing I would check first- blown oil cooler.
Steve

The Volvo MD series engine doesn't have an oil cooler.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

The Volvo MD series engine doesn't have an oil cooler.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Gould 0738

The Volvo MD series engine doesn't have an oil cooler.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Oh.

Probably ought to. :-)

Florida Keyz

Happend to me once, because the risers had rusted away internally.
Florida Keyz

Happend to me once, because the risers had rusted away internally.
Steve

Shouldn't have happened on this engine since the OP states that he just
rebuilt the engine, which would mean new cylinders (most likely). The only
other possibility would be a defect in the gasket or gasket surface of the
heads. There's just no other way for water to get into the oil.

In my 15 years experience with Volvo MD series engines, the most likely
culprit will be the water pump seal.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"Steve" wrote:

Shouldn't have happened on this engine since the OP states that he just
rebuilt the engine, which would mean new cylinders (most likely). The only
other possibility would be a defect in the gasket or gasket surface of the
heads. There's just no other way for water to get into the oil.

In my 15 years experience with Volvo MD series engines, the most likely
culprit will be the water pump seal.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

If it was just rebuilt and new liners were installed, without
a pressure test being done on the cooling system, then I would
seriously look at a bad Liner Seal. I don't know this engine,
but a bunch of small diesels that use replaceable liners have
O-Rings, that seal the bottom of the liners, and they can be
bad, out of the box, or get pinched wrong upon assembly.
Most good rebuilders will pressure test the cooling system
for leaks before first fire, just to avoid this problem.
Also may be a warped head and a head gasket that didn't
seal correctly. Pressure test the cooling system, but putting
a plate across the input and output cooling ports and then
run the the pressure up to 20 PSI and then valve it off and
watch a pressure guage installed on one of the plates. It you
got a cooling system leak, it will be obvious in 10 minutes.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Fresh Water Tank Lou Cragin Cruising 6 December 8th 03 08:23 AM
inventing a different kind of fresh water engine flush C. Sadler Boat Building 7 December 5th 03 04:11 AM
Engine News from Genmar Gould 0738 General 8 October 27th 03 04:47 PM
Flushing engine stored in Salt Water Macomras General 1 September 7th 03 02:56 AM