MLapla4120

Default I've got water in my engine oil....

Hey,
Some seawater is in my newly re-built MDIIB diesel (volvo), what do I do?
I changed the oil five times and the filter twice. Runs great otherwise.

Rick

MLapla4120 wrote:

Hey,
Some seawater is in my newly re-built MDIIB diesel (volvo), what do I do?
I changed the oil five times and the filter twice. Runs great otherwise.

Not for long it won't. Call the folks who rebuilt it and tell them they
have a problem that requires immediate attention.

You should have called them and followed their instructions before you
posted here.

Rick

Steve

About the only way you could have cooling water in you engine oil is from
the raw water pump seals.

The cylinders are seperate from the crank case and the oil goes to the from
the oil gallery in the crank/came up two seperate passes to the rocker arms
on each head.. There is only a very remote possibility of water getting into
this oil system this way since the oil pressure is always higher than the
water pressure.

If there were to be any leakage over into the oil passage, it would have to
be from a bad head gasket. IMHO, not likely..

Back to my theory of a water pump seal leak.. There is two seals in this
pump and a weep hole between them. Sometimes someone may plug the weep hole
when they see water dripping.. That means the second seal will have water
pressure on it. Since the inter seal is to prevent oil leakage from the
crankcase, the lip is turned inward and has no resistance the water
pressure.

Is there a possibility that someone put water pressure from a garden hose on
the pump during the rebuild/test process?? This can blow the pump seal!!
Best way to bench test or test on the hard is to let the pump take suction
from a bucket and use the hose to keep the bucket full.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Leanne

"MLapla4120" wrote in message
Hey,
Some seawater is in my newly re-built MDIIB diesel (volvo),

what do I do?
I changed the oil five times and the filter twice. Runs great

otherwise.

Remove the water pump and check the O-ring shaft seals. Also if
you engine was repainted, make sure the weep holes on the shaft
housing are clear. We had the same problem on the MD-11 we used
to have. They had filled the weep holes with paint and when the
seal blew out, the water could not go out the weep holes so it
was pumped right by the rear seal and into the bottom end of the
engine. I was told by a Danish cruiser that this was a common
problem. When it happened again in two years, for another reason,
we replaced it with a 3GM-30F Yanmar. More power and less weight
and I don't worry about the engine filling up with seawater. The
cost of parts for that old engine, if you can find them, must be
made of gold and platinum. I still have cylinders, heads, MS-7
gearbox, starter, alternator, and a few misc other parts if
anyone wants to come to South Carolina and haul them off.

Leanne
s/v Fundy

Argonauta

Another source of possible sea water intrusion is through the seawater
injection into the exhaust. Many engines are below the waterline and
require a vented loop ABOVE the waterline to prevent water entering the
engine through the exhaust. Since your engine is newly rebuilt, the
plumbing might have been moved when it was reinstalled.

Hey,
Some seawater is in my newly re-built MDIIB diesel (volvo), what do I do?
I changed the oil five times and the filter twice. Runs great otherwise.

Gould 0738

Nobody has mentioned the thing I would check first- blown oil cooler.

Fresh Water Tank Lou Cragin Cruising 6 December 8th 03 08:23 AM
inventing a different kind of fresh water engine flush C. Sadler Boat Building 7 December 5th 03 04:11 AM
Engine News from Genmar Gould 0738 General 8 October 27th 03 04:47 PM
Flushing engine stored in Salt Water Macomras General 1 September 7th 03 02:56 AM