Wendy

Default More Tayana stuff

"Rich Hampel" wrote in message

(lots of good stuff snipped)

Too bad the winds were not 'up' as thats when the TY37 is at her best.

Yeah, I'd like to try her in a breeze, and I'd like to try her in a bit of a
sea. Galveston Bay is kinda like a lake, really. From the Tayana mailling
list I am given to understand that mast rake has a lot to do with weather
helm. I suppose it's a matter of tuning, really- a tweak here and there
until one has the boat set up the way one wants. I'll have to wait until I
have my own for that...

Wendy

Wendy

"Dan Best" wrote in message

One of the things we REALLY like about ours, that no one says much about
is the huge amount of acessible storage. Everywhere you look, there are
more drawers, cupboards and lockers. After owning a Catalina 30, where
whatever you were after, whether it was a spare part or another can of
evaporated milk, you had to dig for it, that is especially sweet. Don't
get me wrong, I'm not bad mouthing the Catalina. We sure loved ours.
But it does make you appreciate boats like the Tayana.

Interestingly, the guy who showed me the boat for sale went from a Catalina
30 to the Tayana, and he said EXACTLY the same thing! His layout does not
have a quarterberth, which didn't seem to have a lot of impact on the
interior roominess. Under the cockpit there is consequently a vast expanse;
he installed a Yanmar/Kohler 4kw genset down there with little impact on the
storage capacity, and the accessibility is awesome. Inside the boat, as you
know, there are drawers and lockers in every conceivable location, the
chainplates are accessible, there's no problem getting at the stuff in the
bilges, the galley is sensibly set up...

I am sure there are "better" boats out there than the Tayana 37. But I
don't think there is a better value out there; IMHO this boat is quite
simply the most bang for the buck for the serious cruiser or cruising couple
looking to spend less than $100,000.

Wendy

JAXAshby

It was a light-air day
on upper Galveston Bay; winds were in the 8-10kt range.

8 to 10 knot winds are "normal" most of the time for most of the sailing world
outside the trade wind areas. Light airs are winds under 6 knots.

a Tayana 37
would do 125-mile days.

few boats consistently average 125 mile days over the long haul.

Wendy

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
It was a light-air day
on upper Galveston Bay; winds were in the 8-10kt range.

8 to 10 knot winds are "normal" most of the time for most of the sailing

world
outside the trade wind areas. Light airs are winds under 6 knots.

a Tayana 37
would do 125-mile days.

few boats consistently average 125 mile days over the long haul.

10-15 is more "normal" here, and I can positively guarantee you that it's
pretty much normal for the Western Caribbean. In my original post I did not
refer to average distance over time; sorry if that was not clear.

JAXAshby

trade winds are higher than is "normal" for most everywhere else except high
latitudes.

I personally know a guy who spent 15 days of a 45 day Atlantic crossing
becalmed.

Most long distance cruisers have set of nylon sails. Lin and Larry Pardey had
a nylon mainsail built so their boat wouldn't slop around in lite airs (large,
lite sails in lite winds also means you can not point nearly as high, as your
boat speed climbs relative to the wind speed).

The Caribbean usually has winds and is one of the reasons sailors like the
area.

8 to 10 knot winds are "normal" most of the time for most of the sailing

world
outside the trade wind areas. Light airs are winds under 6 knots.

a Tayana 37
would do 125-mile days.

few boats consistently average 125 mile days over the long haul.

10-15 is more "normal" here, and I can positively guarantee you that it's
pretty much normal for the Western Caribbean. In my original post I did not
refer to average distance over time; sorry if that was not clear.

Wendy

"JAXAshby" wrote in message

I personally know a guy who spent 15 days of a 45 day Atlantic crossing
becalmed.

This is why the gods created diesel engines

Most long distance cruisers have set of nylon sails. Lin and Larry Pardey

had
a nylon mainsail built so their boat wouldn't slop around in lite airs

(large,
lite sails in lite winds also means you can not point nearly as high, as

your
boat speed climbs relative to the wind speed).

Ok, this brings some questions to mind. In a cutter, would one do as well
to simply drop the main in very light airs and go with the staysail and jib?
Or use the mainsail as well with, say, a preventer in case one was caught
off-guard, and simply relax a bit?

Strategising here...

(OT) One more non political -- Stuff to send our guys and gals Jim General 19 March 12th 04 06:28 PM
Tayana 37 Murray W. Wires Cruising 6 December 3rd 03 06:39 AM
more good stuff RB General 4 October 24th 03 06:37 AM
Hey that Zformula stuff killed my boat odors! Mr. Thomas Cruising 0 August 16th 03 07:44 PM