rhys

Default To Canada without a valid (current) passport?

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:08:25 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

I'd like to do this once and for all (67yo) and get another 10 yr passport
but I don't want to bother with it right now if it's not required to enter
and leave Canada this summer..

The traffic used to be more relaxed, but based on the kind of
treatment Canadians now receive from a lot of "newly empowered" U.S.
border authorities, I would make sure your paperwork is in immaculate
order.

By way of example, if I cross the imaginary line drawn through Lake
Ontario and drift toward, say, Wilson, N.Y., I had better have my
passport, a crew manifest/I-68 form and a compelling reason to be
visiting Fortress America.

On the other hand, you can drive across the border either unmolested
or cavity-searched. It seems to depend entirely on the kind of day the
designated defender of freedom is having.

(maybe, the truth be known, I have a 10 yr passport sitting here on my desk,
that has never left the country and expires next month, while several old
passports I have here are full of stamps from cover to cover.. Somebody
needs to get moving!!)

You're right there. I had a British passport expire so long ago I
haven't yet got the new EU replacement.
Don White

Britain doesn't issue it's own passports anymore?
Sad days!

rhys wrote in message
news
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:08:25 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

You're right there. I had a British passport expire so long ago I
haven't yet got the new EU replacement.

rhys

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:31:59 GMT, "Don White"
wrote:

Britain doesn't issue it's own passports anymore?
Sad days!

That's certainly my impression as a dual Canadian/British citizen. As
my Canadian passport is expiring this month, I am getting the Canadian
(five year) and the British/EU (ten year) reissued at the same
time...easier to remember that way, as for political and economic
reasons I want to maintain a fingertip-hold in European citizenship,
particularly as I plan to world cruise with a Canadian wife and kid in
the next eight to 10 years.

I believe Britain, which didn't opt for the euro, has had the red EU
small heavy-stock passports with a British coat of arms on the front,
just like 15 or so other Euro countries. You're right...I will miss
the heavy pasteboard royal blue UK passport, which was recognizable at
fifty feet and passed muster everywhere but, say, Argentina, in the
last 25 years.

R.

Steven Dubnoff

A CanPass is about $25.00 or so. Maybe this is the way to go...

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel/ca...ateboat-e.html

In addition to a canpass, you will also need proof of US birth or
citizenship which can be a passport or a certified copy of your birth
certificate. Shortly after 9/11, I was almost turned back at Sidney
because I did not have a passport.

Since then, whith a canpass, I have never been checked or boarded, but
they still maintain the option of doing so.

Steve

jay

I would certainly have a photo ID, and a copy of your birth certificate...

-j

"Steve" wrote in message
Starting to look at things that need to be done before cruising up The
Inside Passage to Alaska this summer.

I just checked my passport and find that it expires next month.. As I
understand it, I don't have to have a valid passport to go into Canada,

etc.
However, with the current border security, would it be worth the $150 to
have my passport renewed??

Also, how long does it now take to renew a current passport??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

FS: some cheap boats in Ontario, Canada news General 0 July 11th 04 05:41 PM
FS: some cheap boats in Ontario, Canada news General 0 July 5th 04 02:03 PM
Battery Meter Ernie General 79 May 25th 04 12:36 AM
Canada has WMD's, Bush: Attack Soon! Norbert Poser General 7 February 5th 04 07:34 AM
How to get a US documented boat registered in Canada or BC ? Jason Cruising 6 January 26th 04 04:52 PM