Default Wire tensions in masthead sloop rigs

Which wires in a masthead sloop rigged boat are under the highest
load?

I'm re-rigging my center cockpit 50' sloop (after 19 years) and need
to replace some turnbuckles. I'm thinking the new turnbuckles should
be on the wires with the highest loads - but don't know which ones
they are.

The rig is alum mast and boom, keel stepped. The boat is 38000 pounds
displacement. Mast is 52 ft above the deck and boom is 19 ft long.
Forestay (with Profurl), backstay (with insulators), 4 lowers (2 aft,
2 fwd), 2 intermediates, 2 uppers. The wire is all 3/8" stainless.
We never fly a spinaker and the max headsail is a 130% genoa.

Which wires are the highest loaded and where should the newest
turnbuckles go?

wrote in message
Which wires in a masthead sloop rigged boat are under the highest
load?

I'm re-rigging my center cockpit 50' sloop (after 19 years) and need
to replace some turnbuckles. I'm thinking the new turnbuckles should
be on the wires with the highest loads - but don't know which ones
they are.

The rig is alum mast and boom, keel stepped. The boat is 38000 pounds
displacement. Mast is 52 ft above the deck and boom is 19 ft long.
Forestay (with Profurl), backstay (with insulators), 4 lowers (2 aft,
2 fwd), 2 intermediates, 2 uppers. The wire is all 3/8" stainless.
We never fly a spinaker and the max headsail is a 130% genoa.

Which wires are the highest loaded and where should the newest
turnbuckles go?

If you are changing all the rigging on a 50' yacht it makes good sense to
change all he turnbuckles as well, not just the ones that look a bit dicey.
When you are alone in the cockpit, offshore, in the dark and it comes on to
blow a gale you will think about the items you decided not to replace and
wish you had done so.

stainless rigging wire - nick in wire [email protected] Cruising 45 October 10th 07 07:43 PM
cat rigs jds General 0 November 14th 04 08:27 PM
Johnson 3 wire trim motor.. Red, Blue, green.. How to wire up? [email protected] General 5 May 30th 04 04:34 PM
Info on Rigs Mark Hindley Boat Building 8 September 13th 03 03:14 AM
FS: 32' Endeavour Masthead Sloop @$22,500 in N. Florida Marketplace 0 August 8th 03 02:49 AM