Mark Hindley

Default Info on Rigs

Hello,

I am trying to decide on a double ended lapstrake boat to build. I
need to find some more info on rigs -- particularly the diffreence in
terms of handling and sailing between gunter and
standing/dipping/balanced lug. Any help or pointers to useful sources
would be gratefully received.

Also, I would like suggestions of plans. I am leaning towards one of
Iain Oughtred's. Are there others I should consider?

Thanks for the help.

Mark

William R. Watt

true double ended (pointed, not flat ends) don't sail well upwind.
when they heel over the curvature of the side of the hull develops
terrific weather helm. you have to pull the tiller up under your chin
creating a lot of rudder drag until they finally luff up and stop.

Mark Hindley ) writes:
Hello,

I am trying to decide on a double ended lapstrake boat to build. I
need to find some more info on rigs -- particularly the diffreence in
terms of handling and sailing between gunter and
standing/dipping/balanced lug. Any help or pointers to useful sources
would be gratefully received.

Also, I would like suggestions of plans. I am leaning towards one of
Iain Oughtred's. Are there others I should consider?

Thanks for the help.

Mark

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
John R Weiss

"William R. Watt" wrote...
true double ended (pointed, not flat ends) don't sail well upwind.
when they heel over the curvature of the side of the hull develops
terrific weather helm. you have to pull the tiller up under your chin
creating a lot of rudder drag until they finally luff up and stop.

Hmmm... Sounds like someone who either has not sailed a double-ender, or only
sailed a badly-rigged one.

Mine (SeaPearl 21) sails upwind just fine, and can be easily and repeatably
trimmed hands off the tiller with a centered rudder and no luffing sails.

William R. Watt

Mark Hindley ) writes:
Hello,

I am trying to decide on a double ended lapstrake boat to build. I
need to find some more info on rigs -- particularly the diffreence in
terms of handling and sailing between gunter and
standing/dipping/balanced lug. Any help or pointers to useful sources
would be gratefully received.

generally speaking ....

a gunter is not much different from a high aspect ratio marconi sloop.
with the gunter you get a shorter mast but a more complex rig. you can add
a jib to the rig if you like.

my preference for small boats is a sprit rig because its simple and
requires no expensive hardware. its about 80% the efficiency of the
marconi sloop so should be about 20% larger. TF Jones who likes sprit
sails thinks a jib is unnecessary on small boats. a sprit has a shorter
mast which needn't be supported by shrouds. I've reefed a small (42 sq ft)
sprit on the boat but had to lower the sail into the boat to do it.

the various lug sails, not having the leading edge attached to the mast, are
not so good up wind. unless you are racing that probably doesn't matter.
the masts are shorter and don't have to bend like marconi racing masts.
they also don't need to be supported by shouds. Reefing is pretty straight
forward.

according the UK Dingy Crusing Association (which has a website) a heavy
boat with lots of freeboard is better for coastal and estuary sailing than a
light responsive planing hull meant for racing.

hope that helps.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Rick Tyler

On 08 Sep 2003 06:54:24 +0100, Mark Hindley
wrote:

(Stephen Baker) writes:

Mark,
How big a boat are you after? How much load are you going to carry? (that's
the PC way of asking what you weigh and if your wife/SO is going with you.)

I think I am looking for a capable day boat for costal cruising. Up to
4 people. Probable 15-18 ft range

For glued lapstrake sailboats, I would check out the designs of John
Welsford, too. His US agent is at www.duckworksmagazine.com, and his
own Web site (out of New Zealand) is http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/.
Interestingly, the Duckworks site has a more complete catalog than his
own.

Many of Welsford's designs combine traditional looks with
high-performance hull shapes and big rigs. His "Sweet Pea" is an
especially hot-looking design, although I believe his "Navigator" is
his most popular.

Good luck.

- Rick Tyler
--
"Ignorant voracity -- a wingless vulture -- can soar only into the
depths of ignominy." Patrick O'Brian
Mark Hindley

Rick Tyler writes:

For glued lapstrake sailboats, I would check out the designs of John
Welsford, too. His US agent is at www.duckworksmagazine.com, and his
own Web site (out of New Zealand) is http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/.
Interestingly, the Duckworks site has a more complete catalog than his
own.

THanks, I'll take a look.

Mark
Ford and Mary Ann Walton

Mark,

For a quick rig over-view, find 103 Small Boat Rigs, by Philip Bolger.

Gook luck,
Ford Walton