Default What is cruising?

"Roger Long" wrote:
I'm not going to touch the posts in which this came up with a boathook but
it is a worthwhile question.

With the exception of cruise ship vacations, I think any definition for a
group like this has got to be pretty much in accord with standard usage.

I can't give a definition of "cruising" but I know it when I see it.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

"Bill Kearney" wrote in
:

Eh, to OWN a boat is to be fixing it, location doesn't make a
difference.

You, obviously, haven't had to pay $500 to pump out 15 gallons of sewage in
Tortola to get to the toilet parts. FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS divided by 15
gallons = $US33.33/gallon for SEWAGE.

Location DOES make a difference!

Geoff Schultz wrote in
:

And probably one of the items that I left out of my list is paying
outrageous sums of money to have parts shipped into your exotic
location.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Heh... I watched that happen in the Med., which wasn't really *that*
exotic. Fortunately, I wasn't the one paying.

The degree of exoticness is directly proportional to the amount that
the shipping company charges to get a package there! :-) I
unfortunately have several stories where the cost of the
shipping/duty/taxi exceeds the cost of the item by several multiples.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Don't forget to include the bribe money you had to give the local custom's
thieves to let the toilet seal off the airplane....

On 2008-02-23 02:39:44 -0500, Larry said:

"Bill Kearney" wrote in
:

Eh, to OWN a boat is to be fixing it, location doesn't make a difference.

You, obviously, haven't had to pay $500 to pump out 15 gallons of
sewage in Tortola to get to the toilet parts. FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS
divided by 15 gallons = $US33.33/gallon for SEWAGE.

Location DOES make a difference!

Ain't no chance that I'd pay that much to clear a head.

Ain't no chance that one of my crew, even though they screwed up, would
pay that extortion. I *sound* like Captain Bligh in my BVI pages
(intentionally), but that's only to cover for my bad days when I
realize I can't live there forever and am incredibly depressed.

If you or your crew called in outside help, it simply shows your lack
of experience.

Head maintenance ain't nearly rocket science.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 06:53:26 +0000, Larry wrote:

"Roger Long" wrote in news:47be3380$0$16694
:

The journey is the
destination.

I always thought this was true because when you get to the destination,
you're pretty much stranded, unless there's public transport, a bike or you
can borrow that old beat up pickup the marina uses to haul the garbage
away.....(c;

They make bikes that fold up, meaning you can carry one on a smaller
boat than a regular bike. I saw a picture of a trawler carrying a auto
on deck.

Casady

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 06:53:26 +0000, Larry wrote:

"Roger Long" wrote in news:47be3380$0$16694
:

The journey is the
destination.

I always thought this was true because when you get to the destination,
you're pretty much stranded, unless there's public transport, a bike or
you
can borrow that old beat up pickup the marina uses to haul the garbage
away.....(c;

They make bikes that fold up, meaning you can carry one on a smaller
boat than a regular bike. I saw a picture of a trawler carrying a auto
on deck.

Casady

Captain Casady.. I am planning on packing a Trec circa 1984 touring bicycle
on my boat this summer.

The bicycle is lightweight, an old touring bicycle.

The two considerations a; where to carry it on my 32' sailboat and how
to get it to shore and back to the boat.

I've been thinking of making a bike bag from bubble wrap, and blue tarp..

I can take the front wheel off,, that will make the bicycle smaller.

I'm sure others have brought along a bicycle while cruising .. if you have
and read this .. pipe up..

How did you do it .. not a folding bicycle but a "real" bicycle ..

The getting to and fro, the storage, etc. ???

wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:36:19 GMT, "Sir Thomas of Cannondale"
wrote:

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I carry two full sized bikes on my roughly 28 foot sailboat when
traveling. I can lash them together to the lifelines, or put them
below depending on conditions. Obviously, at night they are on the
lifelines so the cabin is usable for living space. When they are
below, I can still get to things throughout the interior without any
problem. It's a minor inconvenience when compared to the major
advantage of having them along. I considered folding bikes, but I
don't think they have enough of an advanatge to make a real
difference, and those small diameter wheels make pedaling a lot more
work.

How do you get the bicycles to shore? Don't they rust on deck? Tell me
more.

wrote:

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 06:53:26 +0000, Larry wrote:

"Roger Long" wrote in news:47be3380$0$16694
:

The journey is the
destination.

I always thought this was true because when you get to the destination,
you're pretty much stranded, unless there's public transport, a bike or
you
can borrow that old beat up pickup the marina uses to haul the garbage
away.....(c;

They make bikes that fold up, meaning you can carry one on a smaller
boat than a regular bike. I saw a picture of a trawler carrying a auto
on deck.

I've seen a fairly small power boat with a motorbike on deck. And
friends have those little electric skate/scooters on their trawler.

[...]

Our folding bikes have regular sized wheels. I can't ride my husbands
(which the kids gave him for his birthday and has a bag that goes on
it) because I can't reach the ground from the seat, and the seat won't
adjust down any farther. I have seen the ones with the little wheels,
but not all of them are like that.

We have carried bikes on our boat, but the regular bike did rust.
Friends who have the folding bikes take them ashore in the dinghy.

"Sir Thomas of Cannondale" wrote in news:7eXwj.291
$o23.169@trndny09:

www.goped.com

electric or weedeater motor powered.

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 21:29:25 -0500, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I'm not going to touch the posts in which this came up with a boathook but
it is a worthwhile question.

With the exception of cruise ship vacations, I think any definition for a
group like this has got to be pretty much in accord with standard usage. In
this part of the world at least, if you go out in a boat and are not
fishing, transporting anything to a specific place (yourself included) and
are free to alter your route according to whim, you are cruising. Since
there is a word "daysailing" for doing this for short periods, "cruising"
must include at least one night spent on board. Power, sail, makes no
difference. You just have to sleep aboard and be in "The journey is the
destination." mode.

The more restrictive definitions proposed would make this a rather
uninteresting place, just Geoff and Wayne posting back and forth as near as
I can tell.

The answer to your question is " caravaning on water."

Jet Ski Cruising [email protected] Cruising 5 November 21st 05 11:40 PM
Cruising RPM vs. WOT TJF General 7 November 15th 05 12:23 PM
cruising b2bma Cruising 7 October 29th 05 03:00 PM
Need help on cruising RPM Hans General 7 May 1st 05 03:13 PM
Understanding Cruising (from rec.boats.cruising) Capt. Neal® ASA 5 April 8th 05 07:19 PM