Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Balancing the Rudder

I get a vibration in the steering system of my old Owens 27. I've checked
and had checked all the steering linkages and the gearbox and there is no
play. Also I checked the boat (it is old) for hogging underway and none what
so ever. I've got the problem down to being that the rudder is not balanced.
I have called dozens of prop shops up and down the coast to see if they do
rudder balancing, none of them do. I can't even get them to point to someone
who does. Does anyone know of any shops that balance rudders? Otherwise, it
looks like I'm going to have to braze material on to the leading edge of the
rudder and grind it off in a trial and error fashion until the rudder
balance. One old guy said to try bending the rudder relative to the shaft so
the center of effort is moved forward but I don't think this is good advice.
It would give the rudder a forward canted leading edge which I don't think
is good. Thanks.

Randy

Balancing a trailer???? rcoleman General 11 October 19th 05 01:15 AM
THE RUDDER Mic Cruising 1 September 9th 05 05:28 PM
Balancing a (KISS) wind generator GeoffSchultz Cruising 12 April 8th 05 04:43 PM
Balancing Props C Nolen General 3 December 27th 04 04:47 PM
Wilderness Systems Pamlico 145T -- to rudder or not to rudder? Burton Manne General 0 April 9th 04 01:08 AM