anchorlt

Default Shoot Your Foot -- Bahamas Entry Fee

While poverty in the Bahamas is rampant and government revenues are
thin, even with very high tariffs on such common commodities as food
and petrol, the fees now being charged for merely entering the
country's waters is a ripoff. Just ask the owners/operators of
marinas, restaurants, hotels, etc. about the steep fall off in their
businesses income to ascertain how much the foolish government
officials have shot themselves and their impoverished citizens in the
foot.

I expect the fee to be lifted and the effort to raise government
revenue at the expense of boat owners to be abandoned.
Florida Keyz

government equals stupid
Florida Keyz

government equals stupid
Steve

"Florida Keyz" wrote in message
government equals stupid

Boaters who relent and pay that kind of fee are just as stupid.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Doug Dotson

Or would rather spend the winter in Maryland Or even worse,
in Florida. Although I agree that the new fee is silly and will hurt
the Bahamians, I'd still rather spend the winter there than here.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Steve" wrote in message

"Florida Keyz" wrote in message
government equals stupid

Boaters who relent and pay that kind of fee are just as stupid.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

I guess, what I'm saying is, find an alternative until they come to their
senses. I doubt that it would take more than one season to get their
attention..

I'm sure there will still be some Mega Boat with Mega Buck owners who would
still 'cross the boycott line' and that hurts. They probably welcome our
boycott since that means few boats in the anchorages and butts in the bars.

Me? I'm on the west coast and haven't been to the Bahamas since 1971.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Doug Dotson

I'm sure that they will come to their senses soon. But staying
away is purely symbolic when $300 is the price for a winter.
For charter fishing boats I can see the problem with $300
a visit, though they have soffened to $300 for 2 or 3 visits.
Life is too short to get one's shorts in a wad over $200 more
a year.

Doug
s/v Callista