Gould 0738

Default Shoot Your Foot -- Bahamas Entry Fee

The US Coast Guard would do the same thing. Was the boat in danger of
sinking or hitting a rock or was some in a medical emergency, then they
would go after you. I guess falling off your boat drunk qualifies.

Falling off the boat, drunk or sober, will always qualify as an emergency until
the MOB is recovered.

And you are right, the USCG will offer to call a commercial tow service unless
you claim there is imminent risk to persons or property. Getting sea sick in
5-footers isn't the sort of risk they'll send out a helicopter to resolve. :-)
LaBomba182

Subject: Shoot Your Foot -- Bahamas Entry Fee
From: WaIIy

Perhaps I failed to mention the people could not raise a commercial tow
company and said so the the Canadian Coast Guard. The coast guard still
said they weren't coming out. They asked if the boat had a dingy and
to take the dingy to Pelee. The seas were very rough and it was near
midnight on a Sunday.

Where I boat in the USA, the Coast Guard would have surely responded.

Really, why?
Based on what you have posted there seems to have been not any immediate danger
of lost of life or boat.
No one was overboard and the boat was not sinking.

You seem to think a government agency should have saved them from there own
stupidity (small boat, rough seas, late at night) in a non-emergency situation.

My, how liberal of you Wally. :-)

Capt. Bill
LaBomba182

LaBomba182

From: WaIIy

Perhaps I failed to mention the people could not raise a commercial tow
company and said so the the Canadian Coast Guard. The coast guard still
said they weren't coming out. They asked if the boat had a dingy and
to take the dingy to Pelee. The seas were very rough and it was near
midnight on a Sunday.

Where I boat in the USA, the Coast Guard would have surely responded.

Really, why?

Is that a question?

Note the ?

Based on what you have posted there seems to have been not any immediate

danger
of lost of life or boat.

5-6-7 ft seas, no engine power 36ft power boat. Hmmm, no danger?

Note the word "immediate".

No one was overboard and the boat was not sinking.

Not yet.

"Not yet." What? Are they still out there?
Or can you just predict their future? :-)

You seem to think a government agency should have saved them from there own
stupidity (small boat, rough seas, late at night) in a non-emergency

situation.

My boat was a bit small (24ft), not theirs. I wonder how you know they
were stupid.

Well, perhaps not stupid but very silly at least to think the CCG should risk
their personel and spend tax payers money to come get them when they are in no
immediate danger.

And since it's only 30-40 feet deep around Pelee Island
(http://store3.yimg.com/I/cisbriarwood_1778_10244066)
did they have enough sense to throw out the hook?
If not, why? Not enough rode/chain on board to anchor in 35 feet?
Now that would be stupid would it not?

If they did anchor up then they are in even less danger.
Uncomfortable and sea sick perhaps but in no immediate danger.
Note that word "immediate" again.

Stupid or not, they were in trouble.

Perhaps, but apparently not in the kind of trouble that would trigger a CCG
responce.

Sadly, the truth, is all they had to do is tell the CCG that someone on board
is having chest pains and my educated guess is that they would have come on
out.

According to you, the Canadian ice fisherman who get caught drifting on
a sheet of ice should be left there because they are "stupid".

Not even remotely the same thing.

But Darwinism does work in strange ways.

Capt. Bill
LaBomba182