Default TWIC requirement

On 2008-02-18 20:29:49 -0500, "Capt. JG" said:

Considering people are already using chips in their pets for ID I think
it only prudent to put one in your kid in case a terrorrist bags your
child. that way the DHS could call an Amber ALert and find your child.

Sad to say, this will likely be the "camel's nose", as there are such
services that will track your kid real-time now, and some parents are
using them. I believe I saw a chip in the UK; in the US, I believe it's
via cell-phone, either by GPS or a service similar to the iPhone/iPod
mapping function.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

On 2008-02-18 20:29:49 -0500, "Capt. JG" said:

Considering people are already using chips in their pets for ID I think
it only prudent to put one in your kid in case a terrorrist bags your
child. that way the DHS could call an Amber ALert and find your child.

Sad to say, this will likely be the "camel's nose", as there are such
services that will track your kid real-time now, and some parents are
using them. I believe I saw a chip in the UK; in the US, I believe it's
via cell-phone, either by GPS or a service similar to the iPhone/iPod
mapping function.

There was a thing on the news tonight where they are putting chips in
Alzheimer's patients, down in Florida. I don't think they are trackers, but
just identifcation and medical history.

Leanne

On 2008-02-18 20:29:49 -0500, "Capt. JG" said:

Considering people are already using chips in their pets for ID I think
it only prudent to put one in your kid in case a terrorrist bags your
child. that way the DHS could call an Amber ALert and find your child.

Sad to say, this will likely be the "camel's nose", as there are such
services that will track your kid real-time now, and some parents are
using them. I believe I saw a chip in the UK; in the US, I believe it's
via cell-phone, either by GPS or a service similar to the iPhone/iPod
mapping function.

There was a thing on the news tonight where they are putting chips in
Alzheimer's patients, down in Florida. I don't think they are trackers,
but just identifcation and medical history.

'Tis funny, but that sort of application sorta appeals to me:
information I would like first-responders to have instantly at their
fingertips, when accurate information can make a difference. I sorta
like the LoJack units that'll pinpoint a stolen vehicle, or the idea
that a missing kid could be found quickly. If I ever get a cell-phone,
of course I'll have an ICE (in case of emergency) entry. But simply
establishing a Wifi connection can now "locate" me.

When do we smack the camel's nose? Where does the admitted possible
life-saving features balance the possible intrusions?

Some say at the first possible intrusion, some consider one saved life
worth it, some depend on sheer volume of data to hide amongst.

I certainly don't know the answer, even for me. Luckily, TWIC won't
possibly matter to me for a bit & our passports are good for a few more
years.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

"Bob" wrote in message
On Feb 18, 2:04 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:

Larry, I want the chip implanted in my head... expandable storage option
would be nice....

Considering people are already using chips in their pets for ID I
think it only prudent to put one in your kid in case a terrorrist bags
your child. that way the DHS could call an Amber ALert and find your
child.

Oh, my new USA Pasport has a chip that is able to be read "... from a
near distance...." or so I read in the passport.

Humm, I wonder what a near distance is.............. low orbit?????
over the horrizon?? LOS

Bob

Keep it wrapped in tinfoil...

"Jere Lull" wrote in message

some consider one saved life worth it,

If it would cost a life is it worth the risk?

These "chips" are simply RFID tags. They need a fairly strong field in order
to be interrogated. The low frequency ones work on magnetic fields and have
a shorter range of up to 24" and the high frequency ones work on electric
fields and have a range of up to 10-20 feet. Implanting metal in the human
body is not a great idea. Break a fork tyne off, insert it fully into a
hotdog and cook it in the microwave. See what happens around the metal. With
implanted RFID chips you will be at severe risk if you get an MRI, you can't
get an MRI if you have shrapnel, metal shavings, shotgun pellets etc in you.
If you work in the machine trades and have some metal dust in your eyes you
are at risk. So go ahead, implant a "chip" with a receiving antenna/coil on
it and jump into an MRI machine. It will be torn from your body and it may
not necessarily take the shortest path to the outside. It may even enter the
body again on its path through the torus of the MRI machine.

Ron Fiengold