Everett

Default OT?? Requirement for LogBook?

I'm posting to this topic because:
-- this forum seems to have the brightest and best, and
-- the radio log is partially on-topic here

The other night a group of us got into a discussion of whether there was a
law or regulation that required recreational boaters to maintain a log,
including a radio log of all contacts.

I always thought that, while a great idea and particularly a maintenance log
might simplify some insurance claims, it was not required for recreational
boating.

Can anyone shed light on this ... preferably with citation of an authorative
source??

Thanks,
Everett
Long Beach, CA

chuck

No log required. See link below.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/marine/fctsht14.html
FCC - Ship Radio Stations

Everett wrote:
I'm posting to this topic because:
-- this forum seems to have the brightest and best, and
-- the radio log is partially on-topic here

The other night a group of us got into a discussion of whether there was a
law or regulation that required recreational boaters to maintain a log,
including a radio log of all contacts.

I always thought that, while a great idea and particularly a maintenance log
might simplify some insurance claims, it was not required for recreational
boating.

Can anyone shed light on this ... preferably with citation of an authorative
source??

Thanks,
Everett
Long Beach, CA

Doug Dotson

"Everett" wrote in message
I'm posting to this topic because:
-- this forum seems to have the brightest and best, and
-- the radio log is partially on-topic here

The other night a group of us got into a discussion of whether there was a
law or regulation that required recreational boaters to maintain a log,
including a radio log of all contacts.

No to both.

I always thought that, while a great idea and particularly a maintenance
log might simplify some insurance claims, it was not required for
recreational boating.

A maintenance log is nice for your your own benefit and perhaps give a
perspective buyer a warm fuzzy feeling. Beyond that it is pretty worthless.
Insurance fraud comes in many forms including fake logs.